Friday, June 24, 2005

Of Sleeping Beauty and Compatibility

I woke up feverish, with my body aching all over. I felt like I spent the previous night in a boxing ring, as one of the featherweight contenders, and lost the fight. And what does a losing boxer do? Rest. And so I rest—text my boss about missing work, stay in the small space I call room and challenge myself to outsleep Sleeping Beauty. This time, I think I had a fighting chance.

Later in the day, a friend broke through my mid-afternoon slumber with an issue so pressing she had to text me: "Question: How will one know if she has found the right person? Is it OK to just go for compatibility instead of love?”

It took me several minutes to text back. Am I a reliable source of wisdom, being unattached myself? But my self-doubt didn’t stop me from diving into deep thinking. And so, with the knowledge lent to me by Elisabeth Elliot, Joshua Harris, James Dobson, Norman Wright and other writers whose books I’ve read, I text back:

“Risk will always be involved in making choices. We could minimize the risk if we get all the facts and think about the pros and cons. What makes two people compatible? I think it’s important that they have similar life goals. Could their two separate lives be woven into one? Do they connect and communicate? Love can be learned. Hopefully, she learns before they marry.”

Reading my text before sending it, I’m convinced that yes, in 320 characters, I’ve encapsulated what I believe in. Five minutes later she texts back: “So you think love could be learned? Wouldn’t that be hard? Wouldn’t that be unfair to the other person because you’re just compatible and you don’t really love him?”

I imagine where she is coming from. My instinct tells me that my friend might be framing the question in the third person but it is actually about her. I confirm it to her later but first, her follow-up question needed an answer:

“Now we are able to choose who to marry but in the past, it has been arranged marriages. And we have proof that they work. Personally, I can’t say that I will marry without love. But...I will choose to learn (last line edited).”

After a couple more texts, I offer that we meet sometime to talk about the love vs. compatibility issue more lengthily. I promise to think about her and pray for her concern as it percolates in her mind and heart.

Several hours ago I woke up feeling like a defeated boxer but this time around I stayed awake feeling like a trusted counselor. But with my temperature still up, I quit the mental calisthenics and instead indulge my aching body yearning for more rest.

Love vs. compatibility? Hmmm. Ho-hum...
But I still have to outsleep Sleeping Beauty*.

___________
*I could have won over Sleeping Beauty but if I slept a little bit longer I would look like Kerokeropi (remember the cute frog with bulging eyes?). So I rise and do a few productive things my feverish body allows me. Like write this post.

12 comments:

Nechie said...

Love vs. compatibility? Shouldn't love be part of compatibility? True, they are compatible if they have similar life goals, if they connect and communicate... and, may i add, if they love one another. Ultimately, love is what will keep them together, right?

Besides, love isn't just an emotion, it's a decision. Before she decides to marry the person, she should decide to love him first. =)

Beng said...

Amen to that Nechie. Was able to talk to "her." After hearing more details about her situation, I was able to understand where she was coming from. Our talk helped me too. Sometimes just verbalizing what we think and feel makes us more certain about what we believe.

We didn't have to get into a "tug-of-war" regarding love vs. compatibility. In the end, we realized we felt the same way about many things.

Yes, love is a decision.:-)

So kelan tayo magkikita? Sa Bo's Coffee Club? Remember our souvenir program meeting there?

Anonymous said...

hi beng, here's the link to some info about bar blues:

http://www.central.com.ph/page1/BarBlues.htm


cheers,

romel

Nechie said...

Hi Beng,
I'm booked this week until Friday, and I forgot to tell you, my weekday house is in QC (I go home only on weekends).

We can meet at SM Bicutan this weekend. So we can start talking about surprising reunions, our what-could-have-beens and love & compatibility "tug-o-wars" over four flavors of ice cream. =)

Nechie said...

Hi Beng,
I'm booked this week until Friday, and I forgot to tell you, my weekday house is in QC (I go home only on weekends).

We can meet at SM Bicutan this weekend. So we can start talking about surprising reunions, our what-could-have-beens and love & compatibility "tug-o-wars" over four flavors of ice cream. =)

Beng said...

Thanks Romel, I checked it out. Seems like a helpful book. I hope it becomes available at NBS soon. Or else, not a lot of people might know your book exists. But hey, 500 copies in a month is not bad, huh?

Hi Nechie, this weekend is OK with me. Sige, let's try to find a decent ice cream place at SM Bicutan. Looking forward to it. Thanks!

kars said...

compatibility is selfish... you are only looking at things that would work for both of you... at most times at your advantage.

TRUE LOVE is never selfish...

Beng said...

Thanks Karina, for the interaction.:-) You're right, "TRUE LOVE is never selfish." Even Paul of the Bible wrote,"love is patient, kind . . . not self-seeking."

Now, if we would only let God teach how to truly love. But first, the question is, "Are we ready to learn, no matter how hard it takes?"

Olive Joy said...

There are days I'd debate this with myself, just for fun. I always end up with a draw.
God's power to change us is too strong a force to discount. You dismiss it as compatibility now and it rebounds as something else sometime in the near future.

Beng said...

Hi Olive, interesting: debating with yourself about this topic. But that is not really unusual, I sometimes do it too. Yes, God is able to change us (But then again, there are inherent qualities that goes deep inside our bones, experiences we can't do.) Next time you debate this with yourself, tell me if any of the sides win. :-)

Jen said...

Hey Beng! I know that God honors those who wait and He will bless them not only with compatibility but with love. I am nost sure if I can settle for just compatibility but then ... if one is compatible with someone... isn't that a sign that love is already starting? Interesting topic! :- )

Beng said...

Hi Jen, I'll be thrilled to someday see you find one with whom you are compatible with (and someone whom you love). I don't have all the answers to this topic, I don't even have SOME of the answers. All I have is my take on it--tempered by time, shaped by my experiences, influenced by books I've read. :-)