Sunday, August 27, 2006

Googling flu

I’ve been googling “flu cures, treatment” and all related articles for the past couple of days and nights. So far, I have read more than I need to know. I even came across a comparison chart of colds and flu. Now I know what differentiates the two. (And this confirms yet again that I am truly a geek. Only a geek would spend a portion of his/her rest time surfing the internet for cures. The hypochondriac, on the other hand, would probably call an ambulance, pronto.)

What I’ve read just verifies that I really got hit by the flu virus. And oh, the feeling that twenty hollow blocks fell on me is another telltale sign. Funny because eleven days ago I had a flu shot. I read one article too late, written by a doctor, which reveals that the shot doesn’t protect a person 100% from getting the flu (sometimes it makes one even more susceptible to infection). Case in point, me.

There’s really not much left to do now but lock myself in my room and try to stave off the fever and body aches by bed rest. I’ve slept more than I wanted to and I’ve drank more bottles of Gatorade than an NBA player during championship games (the tropical fruit variant is my favorite). There are three different books under my pillow and many more are waiting to be taken out to keep me company.

During these alone times, I usually get hit by realizations that wouldn’t come to me in my more lucid state. Realizations like what? Here are five:

1 Eat more vegetables

2 Don’t stay out too late too often.

3 Avoid stress.

4 You don’t need to please everybody.

5 And . . . you still have a dozen things to be grateful for.

As soon as I get better, I might forget the first four in my realization list but not the last. Because regardless of how I feel, good or bad, whether my temperature is up or down, the goodness of God is constant.

Thank You, Lord, that I didn’t get the flu while I was caring for a sick aunt, or while I was rushing to finish several book projects, or while I was vacationing in Palawan.

And thank You, Lord, that even if my throat is sore and my head throbs, I don’t have a runny nose.

And thank You, Lord, that I don't need a bachelor's degree in Math to count my blessings.

11 comments:

Abaniko said...

"And thank You, Lord, that I don't need a bachelor's degree in Math to count my blessings."

That last line made me smile. Take plenty, plenty of rest and get well soon, Beng. :)

Anonymous said...

My dear beng,

Get well soon. See you soon. :-)

Beng said...

thanks, abaniko. maybe that made you smile because your bachelor's degree is in math. :-)

Hi gina, where and when will i see you? At the philippine bookfair or will you be swinging by the office soon? your autographed book is ready! :-) Salamat din.

Lazarus said...

very inspiring...
"dozen others things to be grateful for...."
...despite the flu


just dropping by...

Beng said...

Thanks Lazarus. Sometimes all it takes is another look at things and see the beauty hidden in them. But oh, how I wish I'd really get well na! :-) [BTW, saw your "left-over thoughts."]

MadMuse said...

I love your post. You inspire people to start being thankful to God for the things that we usually take for granted. :)

Beng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beng said...

Thanks Madmuse. God is good, in spite of. :-) You pretty much have an exciting life and have some interesting thoughts too. I visited your blog. :-)

Gypsy said...

Hi Beng, hope you are better..it always seem that the best time to reflect is when we are down with something! I am thinking, for swinging singles like us, your item number 2 is tragically difficult to follow and item number 3 is unavoidable in this day and age! Sigh..

Anonymous said...

Books are really nice company when we're sick...just don't read till 1:30 am when you should be sleeping! Wag mo ako gayahin, kaya maysakit pa rin ako. Hehe. :)

Beng said...

Hi Jojie, yeah, hard not to stay out late. Here in Manila, even when you're not really planning to stay out late, you could get stuck in terrible traffic and break the rule.

And stress--oo nga. Unavoidable "evil" yata ito, in this day and age.

Sorry late reply. Not yet 100% better but hopefully, getting there. :)

HI Ben,
Keep your books away for now! :D At least until you get well enough to read them no end without guilt. Get better soon too!