Sunday, January 07, 2007

the curse of being an Eve

I start this post with no idea how it's going to end. My only motivation for blogging tonight is the thought that visited me this afternoon while enduring mild stomach cramps.

Salty. I need to eat something salty. Oh, the curse of being an Eve!

Do men ever get stabbed by out-of-nowhere desire for something salty, spicy or sweet? Do they ever get especially touchy and irritable some days of the month for no particular reason at all--with life being presumably normal? Did Adam ever tell Eve, "Oh honey, I'm depressed. Cain and Abel are fighting, and the stress is showing on my skin. I'm going to go out for a while and have a haircut. Maybe it'll make me feel better"?

Shopping--another estrogen-propelled instinct. We women have a shopping chip embedded in our pituitary gland that the scientists have long ignored or dismissed only as a potentially hazardous quirk. In fact, it was activated the moment the first female strolled in the lush garden named Eden. She might have whispered to herself after one lunch, "All Adam ever gives me is this fruit to eat. Maybe I should go and inspect the trees and see what other fruit varieties look and taste good (the shopping instinct kicks in for the first time)." Enter the serpent, the smooth-talking salesman with a tongue of poison who lured Eve into thinking she was getting a good deal with another fruit. Eve, as we all know, got a rotten fruit and a rotten deal.

The consequences of the first sin aside, my point here is why we women like shopping. We are inclined to do it in the same way, say, men are inclined to eat voraciously(or replace italicized word with another male-specific activity that might fit). I realized I have this shopping chip real bad just recently. While strolling with another Eve in Glorieta one night, I suggested we head to Breadtalk. She asks, "Are you buying?" "No," I answer. "I just want to see the breads." Seriously.

Window-shopping for breads? Uhm, yes, but they're nice-looking breads! And they smell good and I like cooking and...I'm full. I don't want to buy any. I just want to look at the breads (You can stop shaking your head in disbelief now. Just imagine I'm window-shopping for shoes).

Before this deteriorates into becoming a completely useless post, let me tell you what's difficult about being an Eve, biblically speaking:

"To the woman he [God] said, 'I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to your children. Your desire will be for your husband and he will rule over you. (Genesis 3:16)'"

Most women generally find their value in relationships than in their achievements. A woman feels most fulfilled when she's beside her man, or while caring for her kids, or while nurturing any other human being, for that matter. And this is what's hard about being an Eve: When she sometimes feels a longing for Adam and she doesn't know where he is.

8 comments:

Swipe said...

Window shopping for bread... is something I have never done but I think I can relate in a way. If you take me to a bookstore, say powerbooks, I can spend the entire day just browsing their collection. reading the blurbs and a few pages and appreciating the cover art.

On the more serious note, I'm sure your adam will find you.

Beng said...

You, Swipe, are a kindred spirit. I could do the same thing--spend hours at Powerbooks. I once spent one whole afternoon at Coliseum books in NY and felt it was one of the highlights of my most recent US trip. BTW, any good bookstores there at Oz?

As for your serious note, maybe my "Adam" went back to sleep or got lost trying to find me. haha. :) Hope not. Thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

i do window-shop at craft stores, in groceries too - which make me feel so dizzy. I love seeing various products and their packaging at the supermarket.

Powerbooks and National Book stores are also on my list for most visited stores.

hay, bakit ba wla pang tangang Adam nakakita sa akin. ;-) hahaha!

Gypsy said...

Hahaha! Grabe, you got it right with craving for something salty. I am more for the savory than the sweet so I would prefer windown shopping at Breadtalk than Delifrance. :)

Beng said...

Hi Karina,

We could all be "fools" for love but you gotta quit thinking that only a stupid Adam would find you. God made each and everyone of us special. We'll just have to wait who among the billions of people would be perceptive enough to recognize this. :)On windowshopping at stores, well, it's a unique female trait which makes us, well, different and interesting. ;)

Hi Gypsy,

At Delifrance you really have to eat. And they don't have that many breads to look at. But you know what could be better than Breadtalk? Cake shops! Imagine all the designs, textures and colors. :)

Anonymous said...

Try window shopping in that cake shop in Megamall, in the bridge area, maybe 3rd floor? Sugarhouse ba yon? They've got "interesting" cakes and pastries (only guys would find cakes "interesting" haha). Maybe your future adam will buy you one, instead of just look at it with you. :)

Anonymous said...

hi beng,

i was only kidding then. of course, a smart eve wouldn't settle with a foolish adam. ;-)


happy window shopping!

Beng said...

Hi Ben,

Yeah, I know what you're referring to. There are actually many pastry shops around. I just don't deliberately seek them out--yet. :)

Or my future Adam could be a pastry chef! :) Nah, I'd get fat from eating all his pastries.

Hi Karina,
Doing any window-shopping there in Davao? Enjoy ka diyan. :)