Monday, March 28, 2005

Seven Days in Mindanao

General Santos, Koronadal City, Sultan Kudarat, T’Boli, Lake Sebu, Tacurong, Maguindanao—once just dots in the Philippine map for me—have now come to life. For seven days, I lived and breathed Mindanao.

As soon as I disembarked from the plane, the first thing I noticed was the weather—warmer than Manila’s. Even while I was taking a shower, I could almost feel sweat beads forming. The pace of living is slower this side of the world; there were not too many people in a hurry. The nearest mall to our homebase closes at 7:30 pm and the roads are virtually empty by 9. The silence of the place is calming, a stark contrast to the frenetic lifestyle in Manila—a welcome change for me.

But then again, it was not a vacation (though we had a day for rest and recreation at Lake Sebu) for me and thirteen other short-term and two full-time missionaries from Manila. For days, we became the hands and feet of Jesus to the T’boli tribes people and Muslims in South Cotabato. We would cram into a rented jeepney, endure the long and dusty travel on bumpy roads, and provide medical-dental and social care to our needy countrymen.

It was not easy, to say the least. But I’m not talking about the inconveniences we had to live with nor the service we had to do.

It was not easy for me to see our people in such a state of deprivation. I know that our country is poor but only recently realized how poor. While city dwellers like us complain of things like traffic or rising costs of commodities, our countrymen in far-flung areas contend—daily—with lack of food, treatable diseases which become fatal due to the unavailability of medical care. Lack of purpose. Lack of hope.

Majority of the population in the areas we visited is into farming. While dispensing medicine to an elderly Muslim woman, I asked her what her husband did for a living. Planting corn, she replied. Probing deeper, I learned that her farmer-husband sells a kilo of corn for seven pesos and that he only harvests once every three months. I dared not ask how much they earn every harvest time but I surmised that unless they sold more than six thousand kilos of corn, it won’t be enough to last them the three months up to the next harvest. Multiply this scenario hundreds, thousands of times, and you will get a portrait of poverty. And I haven’t started on their spiritual poverty yet.

Today I was back to my desk job. I was insulated from the heat and pollution in our air-conditioned office. The biggest struggle for me as soon as I sat down my chair was deciding what to do first, with the tons of work nagging for attention. Days from now, my Mindanao experience will probably fade into memory, until all I can recall are blurred images of faces, faint sounds of need. But may I not lose the grip of compassion. May I not lose faith in my God whose heart is big enough to accommodate each and every person. May I not lose sight of the fact that one day, someday, every tear will be wiped away by the nail-scarred hands of my Savior.

22 comments:

Bong said...

A trip to far-flung areas (although the names of places mentioned are poignantly familiar to me)exposes us to the plight of people we will never understand until we see it first hand. But a surprising facet, a sidetrip of sorts, is the inward journey as we discover ourselves not in the context of the known, and the familiar, but in the midst of something foreign. thus, each trip, each travel it allows us to meet new people, experience new things, it also allows us to discover new things about ourselves. glad you had a meaningful trip.

Bong said...

By the way, it's Tacurong, not Takorong (unless you're talking about another place). That's my hometown. My family still lives there.

Beng said...

Tacurong it is. :-) Sorry if I misspelled that. I wrote it the way I remembered hearing it. Yes, you mentioned you were from that place.(Or was it Andy who mentioned it to me?)

Seeing our people in some of these forgotten places, I feel that my concerns are too miniscule, and prompts me to thank God more often for what I have.

Beng said...

Pstr. Bong, I decided to correct my spelling mistake. Just so not to disturb other people who know what the right spelling is. :-)

Bong said...

:-) i hope i didn't come out too obsessive-compulsive about it. thanks.

Olive Joy said...

who are you kidding? you ARE obsessive-compulsive, go get yourself diagnosed! ;)

Beng said...

So Pastor Bong, pano ba yan, si Olive na mismo ang sumagot sa iyo! Haha. Nope, it's OK with me. Hey, if you spelled Manila as Meynila, I'd react too.

Bong said...

sure symptom of an obsessive-compulsive: double-posting hahaha

Beng said...

Olive, don't let my blog be the "site" of World War 3 ok?!Hahaha.

Beng said...

Alan,
After being where I was, and after seeing what I saw, I don't find what you say hard to believe at all.

I feel sad for our people. Heartbreaking, sobra. I once read somewhere about a man walking along the beach, tossing starfish back into the sea. Another beachwalker saw him and said, "No use tossing that into the sea. How can it make a difference with all the hundreds of starfish by the beachfront?" The starfish-picker gets another starfish, hurls it towards the water and says, "It made a difference to that one."

We may not be able to save the world but we can do the little we can. :-)

Anonymous said...

you've been to my hometown, Gensan! you must have wilted under the heat there....

Beng said...

Hi Romel, I didn't know you were from there. On our flight back to Manila, we even saw Pacquiao at the airport!

OK ang tuna ninyo. Before going there, the only tuna I knew was the kind in cans--flakes, cubes, in brine and oil.

Almost wilted but I managed, not just with the weather but the dialect as well. The Ilonggo I know helped. Di gid ko mabaligya!

Anonymous said...

ha! koronadal all the way up to Isulan is Ilonggo kantri :)

sobra guid kainit didto sa amon...the first thing I realized about gen san, when I moved to manila for college, is that it's soooo hot, there the other day I called up my mom and her first complaint is how hot the days have become...she's recovering from overfatigue and the heat is just too much for her...

Anonymous said...

but you're quite right about how terrible things are for many people these days....you only have to look under the bridge near Quirino Avenue to realize scores of families actually live there under subhuman conditions. At least yung nasa sultan kudarat, they have a decent roof under their heads, they still have some dignity left, they still live decently.

Olive Joy said...

ok. peace ptr. bong!

Nechie said...

I am tempted to join the word war between olive and pastor bong, but I can see that peace has already been declared. So peace it shall be, hehe.

Anyway, I too had my own set of adventures the day after holy week. And I re-discovered myself amidst the grandeur and beauty of God's creation (check out my photo blog for some pcitures). But after reading your blog entry, I realized that the most beautiful of all things that God ever created is the human spirit. I'm glad you came to experience such beauty. I hope to do so one of these days. =)

Beng said...

Romel,
Ilonggo kantri nga kaya good for me. I didn't feel like a tourist. Yes, it's quite hot there. As I've mentioned, I was already taking a shower but still sweating.
As for the poverty, it's everywhere in our country--in varying degrees but in all its forms, heartbreaking. :-( No wonder many of our countrymen migrate to other places, as they too have given up hope. I haven't though.

Olive,
I hope Pstr. Bong drops by my blog again so he reads your line.

Nechie,
You came too late. If you visited a few days earlier, it would have been the battle of three parties. Good thing na rin, I don't want blood on my page. Haha. I'll visit your photo blog soon! Thanks for the comment!

Bong said...

an uneasy alliance...olive's got my precious book, and she lent me her VERY expensive book.

Nechie said...

oh, so now books have become hostages or prisoners of war... which is restraining both parties from attacking lest their precious and expensive books suffer the consequences?... beng, your blog has become a battlefield... and this word war story is getting weirder and weirder...

Beng said...

Pstr. Bong, so what is the title of this VERY expensive book Olive lent you? Is your book with her the one I've been wanting to borrow too? If yes, hold off your battle for a while. At least until your book is with me. :-) haha.

So Nechie, do you have any book you are willing to lay on the line too? :-)

Nechie said...

Beng, I choose peace... so that no book shall ever be held hostage... hehehe

Beng said...

Nechie, Now isn't it unusual that the thought of losing "your own book" suddenly transforms you into a peace-loving citizen?! :-)