Thursday, April 07, 2005

What's Your Kite?

This question was posed by Alan, another blogger, in one of his recent entries where he inserts a Peanuts strip. Charlie Brown flies a kite but it crashes hard into the ground. His unsuccessful attempt doesn’t bother him one bit though. Or so it seemed. Charlie goes through the motions of the day, watches TV, but come bedtime, before he completely drifts off to sleep, he walks by the doorstep and shouts, “Stupid kite!”

The Charlie-Brown-loving blogger says, “I’d say that each of us has his own ‘kite.’ To some, it may be a relationship, a career; to others, a dream or life itself! If you get my drift, what’s yours?”

So what’s my kite? What have I been trying to keep up in the sky? What have I been pining on to supply me exhilaration, just as what the boy with a homemade kite has been doing?

This question got me thinking hard. I couldn't say my career (I'm happy doing what I do now) or life (I thank God for a good life). Dreams? Not really.


For now, let me say love, and the hope of a lifetime of conversations with someone. I’ve unwound the kite string a few times before but the wind hushed before it made my kite really soar. After a brief moment in the air, my kite would dive pathetically into the ground. How my kite has survived those crashes, I never can tell.

My kite is safe in my closet now. From time to time, I run my fingers through it and wonder if it is sturdy enough. The next time I stare out my window and see the leaves swaying, maybe I’d decide it’s a good time to let my kite dance in the sky again. You see, kites are not made for keeping. It’s made for flying.

7 comments:

Olive Joy said...

Ah yes, THAT kite.
I'd like to see you fly that one again one of these days ;-)

Beng said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

ey ate beng, I'm sure you'll have one of the most beautiful and colorful highest flying kite. Everyone will look up and I will be proud to say, "see what happens when you trust God." ;)

Beng said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ives.

Bong said...

all i know is that kites are meant to be flown, not hidden in closets. it's summer time. fly high :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, i love this entry! Beautiful.. you do have a way with words...

Beng said...

Pstr. Bong, Yes, summer, perfect time for kite-flying. But though the sun is up, the wind's not blowing yet. :-)

Gina, thanks for visiting and the comment. I wanted to be both honest yet careful with writing how I feel about my "kite-flying." So when will you tell me your blog address? :-) Excited na akong bumisita!