Thursday, April 07, 2005

On Feeling Safe

Oh the comfort,
the inexpressible comfort,
Of feeling safe with a
person.
Having neither to weigh thoughts,
nor measure words--
But
pouring them
all right out,
Chaff and grain together.
Certain that a
faithful hand
will take and sift them,
Keep what is worth keeping
And with a breath of kindness,
Blow the rest away.

Dinah Maria Mulock Craik

-----------------

Tonight, I spent time with Sherry, one of my closest friends. Conversations with her are events. I look forward to the thought of having uninterrupted time with her in the same way I anticipate a book launch featuring my favorite author.

When we talk, we let down our defenses and say things as they are. I, for instance, do not have to choose the best words. I don't worry if my grammar is right--if my subject agrees with my verb, or if my saying something will make me sound foolish or weak. In the same way, she feels as safe with me.

Tonight, for two and a half hours, over dinner, we catch up on each others' lives. We both share what's been keeping us busy and what's been eating our minds. Studies say that women speak 25,000 words a day. For less than three hours, I think we reached our quota--and used up tomorrow's supply as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the quote. I know I've said it before, but every time I read it I like it even more. Ganun talaga, 'pag friends. Who's this Dinah Craik? Writer, poet?

Beng said...

Actually Dinah Maria Mulock Craik is my pseudonym (I WISH!). If I'm not mistaken, she's an 18th century poet. I came across this poem many years ago while reading a book by another writer. Na-share ko na sa iyo dati itong poem na ito, di ba?

Anonymous said...

Yup, you did. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great poem. I love it. Say hi to Sherry for me and to her parents too.