Saturday, May 06, 2006

The "G" word

geek:’gēk/:noun:1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake;2: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked;3: an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity [computer geek]

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I can’t be a geek. It’s bad for the reputation. The geeks I know are the underdogs in B-movies whose glasses are as thick as windowpanes, with hair rarely visited by a hairbrush, and with a social life confined to the front and back covers of a book. Okay, so I'm not willing to wear the tag. Yet another thought challenged my initial apprehension: But who says we can’t break the stereotype?

And so ended—with minimum struggle—my stint in the geek denial stage which lasted all five seconds (though it necessitated a confirmation from a “greater geek” who answered my “Am-I-officially-a-geek-already?” question with a simple, and relatively painless reply: need u ask?? :-B).

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Today I accompanied Jenny, a Mac-user, to one of their monthly mac gatherings. They might not make a people-power crowd but what mac users lack for numbers they make up for passion. Mac-using geeks (there’s that word again) intently listen to the speaker/forum moderator as if he was teaching them how to survive WW III. But then again, if they were willing to give up a weekend afternoon to be sitting in wooden blocks at the Powerplant Mall, is it any wonder how they could stay glued to the seminar?

However, my friend and I had another agenda: Can we wi-fi and surf? Scouting for a hotspot, we zoom in on the outside tables at Figaro. But before we order anything, first things first: does it have signal? It does! Two 12 oz. iced tea please!

And so after folders of music and picture files were shared, a Q&A discussion on some websites took place, and all the battery power was drained (mine), we sipped the last drop of our drink and felt satisfied with our virtual victory. [On the left is an evidence of my satisfaction. Thanks for the picture, Jen!]

Yes, Merriam-Webster. You can call me a geek.

9 comments:

sillyserious said...

hehe... isn't self-acceptance a beautiful thing? ;)

Jen said...

do we start a new association? hehehehe... i feel like a fake member of mac users... i don't know that much yet ... but learning! definitely... by the way, found xocolat already... possibly a venue for darcy and april boy's next date? i hope it has free wifi!

Beng said...

Aleks, looking back, you're really the one who brought this geeky fate on me! haha. ;D

Hi Jen, so when did you find xocolat? May wifi kaya dun? Hmm, megamall eh. Pag Robinsons lang most likely. Anyway, April boy looking forward to sitting next to Darcy again. :-)

Gypsy said...

Hey!! I didn't know there are monthly pow-wows for Mac people!! I am still in the getting to know you stage with my Mac--would be nice to be with like-minded people...hmm...if only I have the time...sigh!

Beng said...

Hi Jojie, maybe you could join us the next time we go to this mac event at Rockwell. I'd introduce you to Jen; you'd have a lot to talk about with her. :-) When will you give your mac a name? How about "Donald" with a real name of Mac-Donald? haha. joke. :-)

merilion said...

geeks rule!!!! =D

Beng said...

Only a fellow geek can say that!:)

Anonymous said...

i told jun you finally bought a white laptop, the brand i can't remember but it's taiwan-made (the only description i remember from the entry). He said "oh, maybe it's the twinhead". I checked the entry again, and twinhead it is! he even described the size when i told him it's twinhead 12.1. Ha!i'm not really sure i married a geek, but i remember you two putting your PDAs on a table at wendy's as if introducing the gadgets to each other through a small red light called IR. And now, pa wi-fi, wi-fi ka na lang. Chicken! :-) (i like the photo, naki-motiff ka pa kay April Boy, White! gorgeous geek!),

Beng said...

Hi Gina, take it from me. Though I'm new to geekhood, you married a geek! :-) You still remembered when I and Jun IR-ed each other ha.Right,sa Wendy's nga yun. When I see you two again, I'd probably tell him about April Boy and he can tell me something about his relatively new Ericson! Thanks for the comment. After I posted the pic, that's when I noticed na blue and white din pala motif ko.