Thursday, May 11, 2006

when the answer is silence

Is there a divine blueprint stacked somewhere in heaven which details the course each of our lives must take? If we pray—hard enough, long enough, fervently enough—will a scroll magically fall down from the sky, land on our feet, and then reveal a message that will erase our uncertainties about the future and make us grasp the present with the firm grip of courage?

I could ask a thousand and one more questions and still get an answer not different from what I got the first time I asked: the deafening sound of silence. Cloaked in the fine linen of mystery, silence can alternately be disturbing and calming, induce fear and hope, appear as black and white.

So how does silence reveal itself to me: as friend or as a foe? Does the answer of silence to all of my questions rattle me? Do I stomp my feet in impatience or wring my hands in despair? Or can I take silence as a companion and realize that silence can purge my ears of the unintelligible ramblings of the world and its litany of worries and woes?

Here in my room, where the hands of time seem to be frozen and the boundary of the Milky Way is confined to my room’s four corners, I distill my thoughts. Revel in the sound of silence. Waiting. Praying. Patiently hoping that it won’t be long until silence is dislodged in my heart by what would best take its place—the sound of a still, small Voice.

5 comments:

chris said...

True, that silence is really a mysterious response, it allows us to reexamine our requests or prayers in the first place. It's amazing how you gave meaning to it. Now I have a better appreciation and understanding of why God keeps silent on some of my requests.

Beng said...

Hi Chris, haven't seen you in a while ah. I'm learning to befriend silence because this could be what God must be teaching me. I don't want to miss the lesson. I'm happy to know this post had a good effect on you. Hope you're doing OK. :-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy moments of silence. It can be a good thing, especially if we're waiting to hear from God. I just heard a song from the group Mercy Me. The title of the song is Word of God Speak. The chorus goes:
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

Beng said...

Hi Ben, maybe one time you could bring the CD, or tape, of this song of Mercy Me. I'd be interested to hear it. Thanks for the interaction, kindred spirit. :-)

Anonymous said...

Silence is neither a friend or a foe. Listening to it is like listening to Your heart beating – it makes You more alive and attentive. The thing with these kind of questions is that the sender and the recipient are the same – it is always about You and the consequences of Your choices. No rewards, no punishments, no divine plans, no heaven, no hell. When I realized that for the first time, it was a real shock. I was and still am terrified of the fact that actually there are neither rules nor purposeful plans and the silence means that You can make them up on Your own if You want to. The responsibility is our own.