Saturday, September 16, 2006

"Dandalan"

While I’m typing this*, two boys in Superman sando are within my line of vision. The chickenjoy meal they just ate is being burned as they run, and slide in the Jollibee play area. This day, being a weekend, is a day when I disrobe of my professional persona and play the easiest role of my life: cool aunt slash nanny.

“Anong gusto mong drink?” I ask Pong.

“Dandalan.”

Huh? Two more seconds were needed before the image of the yellow juice flashed in my mind.

“Ah, dalandan!” Can’t blame him. He’s only six and still building up his vocabulary.

The rest of my time with my Pong and Robyn, my nephews, was uneventful. I don’t always get the chance to be with them sans their parents and this time I notice things about them that escaped me before. Like what? Like they can burp at will, and laugh about it (Men!). And that I can ask them to do some things and they will prove to be responsible.

(*I brought my laptop when I treated my nephews to an early afternoon snack. After I fed them, I occupied the nearest seat to the playground and multi-tasked: going through my files and watching over them.)

------

This blogwriting marathon is proving to be harder than I expected. I go through my day screening the bloggables and non-bloggables. And just like Cinderella, afraid to be caught in her rags when the clock strikes midnight, similarly I race against time and write a post before the next day officially starts. Why did I even think of doing this anyway? Will I ever make it to the 30th day? Pangs of doubt are starting to attack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beng,
Nakakatuwa naman na naipapasyal mo sina Pong and Robyn. It just makes me sad for Ethan dahil wala syang aunti or uncle closeby na pwedeng mag-treat sa kanya. Si Ethan sabik sa kalaro yan kahit sino ang pumunta sa bahay namin, miski matanda or bata basta nakakapagsalita at nakakalakad, lalaruin nya. I wish he can meet his cousins soon.

Beng said...

Hi Rae, thanks for dropping by. I miss Ethan. Sana one taxi ride away lang ang Indiana ano? Kahit every day ko ipasyal si Ethan, okay lang. Pakakainin ko ng Chicharon! haha. Uwi muna kayo dito sa Philippines. He'd be happy to see his three cousins here. :)