Saturday, October 14, 2006

five o'clock calls over the moon and stars

Most women are cheap.

And I mean that in a positive way. Let me clarify: Most women could be made happy by the simplest of gestures done with the sincerest of intents. While the most passionate lovers promise to pluck the moon and stars to lay at their woman’s feet, many women wouldn’t be impressed if all talk is what they did.

In a birthday tribute we gave a friend recently, a letter addressed to him was read aloud. It was from his wife who wasn’t in the celebration because she needed to be home early to care for their baby. In it, she extolled his virtues as a father and a husband. While listening to her public affirmation of him, my respect meter for the guy, Miler, shot up. Earlier in the day, I texted him and said he was the person with the coolest head I know and that his gentleness was a gift—to us, that is. Midway through the letter-reading, this one fact melted the heart of every female in the room: His wife said that since one day in May 2001, when they were still getting to know each other, he would call her when the clock strikes five pm. More than five years, a marriage contract, and a baby later, he still does it. Calling Rachelle at the office every five o’clock in the afternoon. Every day. Without fail. How could one guy do it when most guys would fizzle out soon after they hear the girl say “yes”?

It actually takes so little to make us happy.

A few years ago, a guy friend dropped by my office and gave me a bag of pan de sal. I never thought the most underrated piece from the baker’s oven could make my heart swell. Why? Because days (or was it weeks before?), I casually mentioned to him that I read a newspaper feature that talked about this delicious bread in Laguna. I probably asked him if he tried it. The next time I saw him, his smile came with a brown paperbag with the round bread inside. He remembered. The bag of pan de sal, carried all the way from Laguna, was still warm. The thought and care inside each piece made it warm. Yes, for me, it's the thought that counts.

This post is for men. If you’re attached—with a wife or a girlfriend—take the time to show her you’ve been thinking about her. You don’t really need to wipe out your bank account and buy her diamonds to make her the happiest woman in the world.

Diamonds may be forever. But a lifetime guarantee of 5 o’clock calls—the security and warmth of connection through shared conversation—can outvalue those precious gems and outshine the moon and the stars anytime. Or maybe, it's just me.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi beng,

thanks for sharing this one.

our pastor shared an anecdote. it's about a book whose title is 'what men knows about women'. upon opening the book, he was perplexed why the pages are blank. he then realized that we actually don't know anything about women.

hope to see more posts like this.

your posts on other topics are also interesting.

dong

Beng said...

Hi Dong,
It's funny because you have the same name as my twin brother that for a second, I wondered if you were "him" (but I guess not).

Anyway, thanks for visiting and dropping a comment. I appreciate it. :)

Anonymous said...

I actually thought too that it was our 'Dong'..Maybe it's about time he visited your post. After all, you share a lot of common things - have the same birthday and same last name among other things..

I think this piece would be an 'encouragement' for Chris (-:

Gypsy said...

Hey Beng, nice blog! A must-read for guys. :) Okey lang mga pa-sweet sweet ek-ek ng guys pero mas okey talaga if they can go at it for 5++ years or more, now that's what I call love! Naks...your friend's wife is so blessed.

Beng said...

Hi Nang,
Should I make a special mention to my "brother-in-laws" and tell them I wrote about them just to make sure they visit? :) Well, I hope thay do visit.

I think I showed this blog to Dong once (when I wrote about Pong and Robyn).

Beng said...

Hi Jojie,
Thanks for the comment. Initially I wasn't sure I could write this post pa but I'm glad I did. :) Yeah, blessed nga si Rachelle, the wife. Invited Miler already to check out this post. There might be more guys like him out there, baka di pa lang natin kilala. :)

Anonymous said...

sweet...

Anonymous said...

hehe, must read for guys...

Beng said...

Hi Kars, yeah, it's sweet what some guys can do.

And Ruben, a must-read nga for your kind. :-)

Leah said...

Here from Abaniko's.

What a great post, so warm and touching.

Little things when given in love and sincerity mean so much. I too, have a certain feeling of elation when my hubby calls me. May not be as constant as Miler's calls but good enough.

Beng said...

Hi Leah, thanks for dropping by.
Consider yourself blessed for having a hubby who calls you. :) I, on the other hand, am still waiting. ;)

dodong flores 도동 플로오리스 said...

Inspiring write up. I think I got an idea how I can make my girlfriend more happier in our relationship...
Thanx for sharing...

Beng said...

hi dodong flores, thanks for visiting. i assure you, it'll work. conversations mean a lot to us girls. :)

Miss F said...

hi there!~ totally agree with you on this!

i think it's just immature romantic fantasy that makes women/girls fantasize about rich guys who could give wine and dine them in fancy restaurants or give them jewelry. sure those things would be NICE but in the end it's the feelings, motives, thoughts that's more important than material things....

I really enjoyed reading this p0st! hey, you have a great blog here~