Thursday, December 21, 2006

cakes and closets

Last night, at Mexicali's, I had a cute Goldilocks' chocolate mousse courtesy of my DG--savvy group of women whom I meet at least twice in a month to learn and have fun with (two of them are in the US right now, enjoying their first White Christmas). They surprised me with a 5-day early birthday celebration.

Before giving me their words of encouragement, we shared what about our lives this coming year would we like to change. If our lives were a closet, what would we discard? Are there any paradigm shifts we'd like to make? While one spoke of trying to rid herself of flab (which is hardly noticeable I'm suspecting it might be imaginary), another spoke of taking more risks and developing herself in other areas of interest. She is, after all, more than a number cruncher. She is a music lover who will finally buy guitar and teach herself how to play it (Go for it, girl!).

No more guilt in saying No. This is what I had to say. If you knew me, you'd know that if you asked me to cross over a high wire, I won't say No. I'd say, "Give me time, I'll learn it." But from now on, I don't have to worry myself to death about pleasing every one. I have this dress patterned after paranoia and I'm taking it out of my rack. Another piece of clothing I don't want to wear anymore is the pants of pragmatism. Between trusting God and doing something to solve my problems, the former doesn't always win. I can get pretty impatient waiting for God to work and answer my prayer that sometimes I'd rather find the answer myself. And I thought I had the gift of faith.

I'll be updating my wardrobe. Next year, I'd wear more pinks than blues, more reds than blacks. I just hope those colors fit me. *wink*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pinks and reds become you! Happy birthday--may God continue to pour His blessings upon your life. And yes, say "no" to me as often as I need to hear it. Love, ate grace

Beng said...

Hi Ate Grace, such honor to be visited by you. :) Thanks for the wish and prayer for me. And don't worry--you make it easy for me to say "yes" that no mental tug-of-war is happening inside my head whenever I say it.

Unknown said...

belated din beng! yup. had a vacation. will be updating my blog soon!

Anonymous said...

hey Beng! Happy birthday! Wish andyan ako to celebrate your birthday. One of these years, we will cross paths during Christmas time. :- ) ---> jen

Beng said...

Hi Homer, thanks again for the greeting. Post your US vacation thoughts already!:)

Hi Jen, oo nga eh. Since we met and became friends, we still haven't shared the same country of location together. Haha. Maybe Christmas 2007?:)