Friday, December 01, 2006

Tales from Thailand 2

Finished!

My boss, Ate Yna, and I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. Lest you think that I am in Thailand exclusively for leisure, let me say, not really. We were invited by a Christian publisher with a new editing team to teach its staff about the various aspects of book publishing. The teaching ended around lunchtime today and so after another lunch, off to sightseeing we went.

Katie Holmes might have her Tom Cruise, but I have my Tom Yum

Presenting to you the most delicious food in the world (drum roll, please), Tom Yum! This is my fourth serving of the famous dish since we flew in last Sunday. I’m considering buying Tom Yum mix from the supermarket tomorrow just so I could try to duplicate the experience when I return home.






Mirror, mirror on the wall
How many are there of you all in all?

If you’re asking the mirror(s) at the Grand Palace in Wat Phra Keo, Bangkok, the answer must be millions! Now I understand where the inspiration of the intricate and ornate designs of Thai fashion came from! I have never seen anything made by man that was as grand and as beautiful as the structures inside the Grand Palace.




Sunset in Bangkok

Tonight we ate inside the market near the port. While waiting for our meal, I looked to my right and looked at the sunset. I suddenly missed our very own Manila Bay.

I better turn in now. Big day tomorrow. Chatuchak, the biggest outdoor market in Asia (or so Jannie, one of our hosts, said) is waiting for me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd love to see pictures of your "tour" in Thailand. Were you allowed to take pics inside the Grand Palace? Or nasira ang shots niyo with all the mirrors? See you next week!

Abaniko said...

Now, I know Tom Yum is your favorite. Obvious ba? Is Tom Yum in Thailand hotter? I don't recall ordering one when I was in Bangkok years ago.

Beng said...

Hi Ben, yeah, will show you the pics at the office. Allowed naman to take pictures, and the mirrors are not really that big. Maliliit lang. Jaw-dropping talaga ang structures inside the Grand Palace.

Beng said...

Hi A, the Tom Yum's definitely hotter in Thailand. Thanks to your blog and recommendation, I decided to give Tom Yum a serious "look" (taste is more like it):). Every meal I had there was good. Now, I'll be on the lookout where to find equally-tasty Thai dishes in the Phils.

Gypsy said...

Hey Beng, the Thais, I'm sure, were over the moon when they found out you loved Tom Yum, its the national favorite, second only to the KING. Hehehe. You can buy Tom Yum Mix here, too, even green curry or pad thai mix..:)

Anonymous said...

I've been eating a lot of Thai food recently because there a lot of Thai restos/eateries near my current office and they're the only ones in the area that's close enough to Filipino food.

Anonymous said...

hi miss beng, i like the way you wrote about your trip. ;-)

maybe i should visit thailand someday and try tom yum.

(the first thai food i have tried is like fried rice with their kind of bagoong alamang, a bit spicy. (i forgot the name))but it was really delicious.

i'll be in Makati dec 18-21, and would be staying in Oakwood. i don't know if i wud have enough time to see you.. but sure, id love to meet you again. ;-)

Lazarus said...

I missed a chance to go to Thailand 6 years ago. My passport was not processed due to my BC's lack of NSO certification. I only found out later.

So now, hanggang dry Thai massage lang.

Beng said...

Hi Swipe,
Is the Thai food in Oz any good? Or before you got there, did you have any particular liking for this kind of food? You must be missing the Phils so much. Hang in there. Hope you'll survive the holidays. :)

Hi Karina, is your cellphone number the same? I changed mine. I'm not sure if I sent it to you. Anyway, let's see if we could meet while you're here. Let's eat Tom Yum. :)

Hi Lazarus, the next chance you get to go to Thailand, go for it. :) You and your wife will surely love Thailand--the place, the people, the food. :)

Swipe said...

Hi Beng, Food here is very good although I haven't found a resto that serves the Thai fried rice that I've gotten used to in the Philippines. I'm not missing the Philippines all that much to be honest. Chow King maybe. I'm more or less a loner so I can cope with being alone better than most.