Friday, February 11, 2005

Bike, Swim, Blog

I’ve never learned to bike and to swim for exactly the same reason: fear. Fear of not learning (yes, I can be irrational at times), fear of experiencing discomfort—scraping my knees and swallowing salt water, fear of disappointing whoever will be patient enough to teach me.

This same fear has almost kept me from setting up this blog. Friends have been prodding me to try my writing hand on this fairly new technological phenomenon. Most of the time I just smile and mutter, “I will,” not really saying when. My mind says, “You can do it. You love to write.” But my heart counters: “What if you make a major grammatical error? People would wonder how you could have kept your job all these years! What if your words and experiences are too boring? Not interesting enough? Or worse, what if nobody reads your blog at all?”

The paranoid in me shouts like Goliath taunts young David. Good thing I know my way around my Bible and read how David struck down the giant with one smooth stone from the stream. Maybe, just maybe, I could hush the paranoid in me with one heartfelt, sincere entry.


So here I am, tentative but thrilled, scared but sure. I may never learn how to pedal a bike or swim in the sea. I may never be able to skid through rough terrain or glide gracefully in the water. But I can try to warm your heart, make you smile, challenge your mind. Maybe I can make new friends or reconnect with old ones by bridging the chasm between my keyboard and your screen.

All I can offer are my words.
Come, be my guest.
Welcome to my world.

7 comments:

sillyserious said...

ah, finally, courage :) happy stripping, bengsky!

Beng said...

Thanks, Aleks. You played a big part in my finally taking the leap. :)

Nechie said...

now that you've conquered your blogging fear, it's time you conquered your biking and swimming fear. =)

Beng said...

Nechie,
I'll stick with blogging for the meantime. I still can get away with not knowing how to bike and swim! I'll tell you when I'm ready though. :-)

Anonymous said...

i am glad your here na. haven't read your article pa. but i saved it in my computer. carol

Olive Joy said...

don't worry, i'll come and visit and read everyday. EVERYDAY. i'll even comment every once and a while. :)

Beng said...

Wow, Olive, what an encouragement! I'll try to visit your blog everyday too. ;-)