Saturday, June 17, 2006

Table for One

I had a late lunch at 3pm, that is, if you could still call that lunch. This Saturday, I decided to take it easy. After all, I earned this lazy Saturday after almost being swept away in a whirlwind of weeklong activities which I logged in at work and out of work.

While sipping my iced tea, I told myself that I don’t want to get used to this. This, the independent, carefree single life.

Most people look at a single woman and blurt out, “Why are you still single? Maybe you’re too picky.” Based on the expression registered on their face, you could almost read the unspoken message: “What’s wrong with you?” And sometimes, you don’t even need to have a face-to-face conversation to decipher this message. Three days ago a married friend called me at the office. After exchanging how-are-you’s with her, she broke the news: “Our friend L is getting married. When will yours be?” My first reaction was surprise. I didn’t even know that L had a boyfriend (it turns out to be a long-distance relationship). The second was irritation, due mainly to the way she asked it. It was as if she was irked that she couldn’t hear any change-of-status news from me. My saner side stopped me from saying, “Thank you for giving me a reason to gripe to God this day about my singleness. I definitely needed that boost when I am days behind my editing projects because I’ve been helping my boss with her presentation.”

If she (and the rest of the world wondering why I’m still unattached) had the time, I would probably whip up a presentation worthy to be delivered in an international forum. Let me answer two points usually brought up when my singleness is the topic:

Maybe you’re too choosy.

Will you play Russian roulette on something that will affect the rest of your life (and your future children’s as well?) Don’t get me wrong. I’ve given up on the illusion of meeting Piolo and him finally seeing the light that I’m the girl for him. “You're too choosy” in your language could translate “I just know what I am waiting for” in mine. When he turns around the corner (or makes his presence felt more deliberately), this seemingly-choosy girl will finally make her choice.

Maybe you’re intimidating men because you’re too smart.

Do you think I hand books to guys and ask them to submit a 50-page book report? Or that when somebody gives me a love letter I will edit it using a red pen? No, of course not. I’ll use blue. Kidding aside, I can enjoy shallow conversations as much as I do the mentally stimulating verbal exchanges. Yes, we could talk about books and ideas but we could talk about popcorn and the weather too.

I’ve had occasions when somebody would introduce a guy to me. The guy starts a conversation: Asks me where I live, where I work. His extra attention signals interest. Then drops the axe that will kill it: “So what do you do?” I tell him and then a few seconds of silence. Suddenly, he’s tongue-tied and feels the urge to check if his subject and verb agrees. Almost hilarious, really, if you’re not me.

If God wills it, I’d take the greatest risk of my life. But first, he, whoever he is, must also think I’m worth the risk. And then I can start writing from the other side of the fence.

But for now, I've got to finish my lunch in my table for one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out the amusing (and serious) travails of some single friends:

1 The top ten ickiest remarks made to singles
2 Singular perorations
3 Random thoughts of a single gal
4 Ano ba talaga ang type mo?

8 comments:

Gypsy said...

Whatever people say, my dear, you ARE a catch! And as for the guys who let your profession intimidate them--well, it's their loss! Did you check my blog on the top ten ickiest comments? Heheh..a dose fo humor keeps us sane...

Beng said...

Hi Gypsy, thanks for the vote of confidence. Girls in the same boat encourage each other. :-) I just had to write this post to somehow deal with this singleness issue. Humor helps--a lot!

Anonymous said...

Hey! know what you mean... imagine me here in Paris, the city of lovers...

i ask myself, how can a great guy find me here in the city of pretty women and gorgeous guys ... i can be sad about it ... yet i think about the other side ... imagine me with a smelly guy! hehehe... the mean me! - jen

Beng said...

Hahaha! They just look good in pictures, don't they?! There's nothing like encountering them, face and face, and experiencing the reality that some things are better left admired from a distance. Case in point, the French guys. Take some pictures of them and let me judge them from your digital cam screen. It might help if you wear a tag on your forehead which reads, "Tourist." But then the Asian looks and the camera bag strap across your body might be a dead give-away. Be back soon! :-)

Nechie said...

right on with those two points (the "choosy" and the "intimidating" theories). they've used those on me, but maybe not as often as they did on you, hehe.

hmmmm.. everyone seems to be blogging about their musings on the singular life. maybe when i get enough inspiration - or irritation for that matter - i might have my own rendition of that topic. =)

Beng said...

Hi Nechie,
In fact, I checked your blog if there were any archived posts on singleness (that I might link to this post) and I realized you hadn't any. Yeah, maybe you should write one too. At first, it might feel awkward, and then it would start to feel liberating. You'll say, "OK, there. I've written it down. Now I can go on with my life. :-)" It's like a lump in your throat that you just have to clear.
C'mon.Write it.

Olive Joy said...

Hehehe. Tama pa rin si Lizz Winstead "I'm smart, therefore, I'm single."

That doesn't necessarily mean all the married people aren't smart. They could actually be smarter. But they really shouldn't be picking on us ;)

Beng said...

Hi Olive,
Forgive my ignorance but who is Lizz Winstead? But there's a hint of truth in her statement ha (my bias is showing. I might have a different view if and when the tides turn. haha). :-)

But yes, they, the married ones, shouldn't be picking on us. It's hard enough to cope with the loneliness and uncertainty. We don't need them to heap the confidence-shattering remarks on top of our struggles.