Saturday, June 03, 2006

Times are bad, God is good

It was too early to cry. But as soon as I swiped my card to log in for work, I felt the tears well up in my eyes. By the time I reached my desk, there was no stopping me. I sobbed and cried like any brokenhearted gal. But can you blame me? We’ve been together for twenty months already—the longest I’ve stayed with somebody of his kind. Sure, he was acting a bit weird lately: not doing what I wanted him to do, conking out on me in the middle of a task. But I’ve grown to love him. I consider myself faithful and didn’t even think of replacing him on a whim. Not even if there were others out there more attractive, taunting me, tempting me to try them.

Now "he" is actually an it: my Nokia 6600 phone. And the last I saw it was yesterday.

Our parting happened on my way to work. When I was getting off the non-airconditioned bus, a man wearing a sports cap blocked me on my way down. Irritated, I asked him, “Bababa ka ba (Are you going down)?” Little did I know that his hand was already in the outside pocket of my backpack, getting my treasured cellphone. I’ll stop here with the storytelling. The memory of the violation still stings. (That word, violation, encapsulates what was done to me. I felt violated and it deserved a good cry.)

My tears yesterday were of anger and frustration. Ian, who was just a few steps away from my workstation, just stood by my side while I was sobbing on my desk. He had also once lost a cellphone and so understood how I felt. “It’s OK to grieve,” he advised. And so I did—for fifteen more minutes. My teammates (and other officemates) did a great job cheering me up. My boss, Ate Yna, ordered an extra Chicken inasal for me for lunch (I told her afterwards that it was the best chicken I’ve tasted ever). Marian graciously offered to wash my plates. Ruben gave me a Mr. Donut chocolate twist to sweeten my afternoon. The rest offered words of encouragement like, “You’ll get a better phone” or would sincerely check up on me, “Are you feeling better now?” They, my burden-sharers, made it easier for me to go through the rest of the day. In fact, by lunchtime I was already laughing and joking about my loss, thinking absurd thoughts such as “What if I offered to buy my cellphone from the snatcher? I could probably haggle for a discount.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mine is a safe and sanitized world. The people I work with love God, pray before meals, and don’t cuss or swear. Outside work, I spend time with others who likewise love God, pray before meals, and don’t cuss or swear. Over time, maybe I’ve been falsely conditioned that the Fall of Man didn’t happen and that the Garden of Eden was still pristine and perfect. This one incident jars me back to reality that ours is a wicked world longing to be redeemed. Yes, there are cellphone snatchers out there whose hands are too calloused to feel their crime burn through their skin.

“Times are bad, God is good,” a line from Psalm 100:5 on my bedroom whiteboard reminds me daily. In the context of this truth I am praying—and yesterday, prayed more fervently—“Lord, even if bad things happen to me, please don’t let me sin against you. Don’t let the circumstances happening around me fool me into thinking that You are not good. That You are not loving. That You are not in control." I remember Job, the biblical character who had experienced exponentially greater losses yet did not sin. Tell me, what is losing a cellphone compared to losing your children, your livelihood, your health?


God is good—still is and always will be. All I have, material or otherwise, is His. God has already surprised me with extraordinary blessings before. He has answered more prayers than I can count. He has made me feel special with people in my life who are actually angels in disguise. The love of God is with me and no thief—a cellphone snatcher or even the Devil himself—can steal this from me. (Romans 8:5,38-39)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaya pala di ka sumagot sa text ko yesterday. Wouldn't it be funny kung sumagot yung snatcher? :-) Just cheering you up :-) Di bale, I'm sure you'll get a better phone. Haven't lost a phone by snatching but I lost a wallet so I understand your situation. You're right, times are getting worse but God will always be good to His children!

Jen said...

So sorry for the painful reminder that ours is a fallen world ... but glad to know that you constantly see the goodness of the Lord...

will pray for your future phone :- )

Beng said...

Hi JC, are you back in the Phils? Check out our new bookstore (same address). We don't have the book you want yet but you'll be happier browsing through our titles now. So what did you text me about?
About my loss, thanks for the effort to cheer me up. :-) Yeah, you lost your wallet nga before. Harder to bear yata is the hassle--building up my phone book database, and in your case, replacing all your IDs and cards!

Hi Jen, I know you feel for me. Thanks for bearing my techie-burden. And for buying me a new SIM card! (Am I embarrasing you with my PDA--public declaration of acknowledgment?) Just to let others know how kind you are. Naks!I apppreciate your prayers and all your other "help." :-)

Bong said...

every so often i wish we can live in a sanitized world and not get out of it, but since we are here in this fallen world, we find comfort that we have a God who protects.

Gypsy said...

I was looking forward to read your new blog entry--but not at the expense of your phone!! Sorry about that! Kaya pala di ka sumagot nong tinext kita last saturday...I have to go out of the country the day after the inauguration, but will try to get there. Pumunta na ako last saturday..cool!!! Can't wait to see your spanking new office!

Beng said...

Hi Pastor Bong, I agree. I thank God for His protection. It could've been worse--like me getting hurt. Mabait talaga Siya. :-)

Hi Techno-Freudian, thanks for dropping by. I didn't know my (ex)N6600 could do that (esp. the mouse control). Now, I think I feel worse for losing it.:( How about the N6620? Looks like the 6600, problem is I'm not sure it's available here in the Phils. For now, I'm taking my time deciding. :-)

Hi Jojie, I was actually supposed to blog about "A pinch of happiness" and then this phone incident happened. Ironic no? Hay. Hope you'll really drop by on the 16th, especially since we won't be seeing you for so long after. :)

Anonymous said...

I empathize with you. I also lost a phone - a gift from my mama, after working so hard in college. I had a facial treatment then, when i woke up, i no longer found it in my left pocket. i cried so much and caused trouble at the derma clinic. I suspect the girl who was next to me.

the attendat's hands were busy on my face. I heard no sound of a falling object.

In fact before I dozed to sleep, I put it to silent mode so as not to disturb other women. Hay!

sana kunin na siya ni Lord... ang bait-bait niya...

Beng said...

Hi Karina, Hay talaga. I'm sorry to hear about your similar orderal. What is disturbing for me is how some people can be so calloused as to cause harm to other people who did not in any way did anything to them. I mean, bakit? May ginawa ba tayo sa kanila?

Oh well, I've said it. Ours is a fallen world. Miss ko na phone ko. When will I be (emotionally) ready to get another one again, I dont know.I don't want to risk losing one again.

Gypsy said...

Weird, I just realized that your blog entry is almost the exact opposite of mine...its hard to see the upside of Manila living when something like this happens to you, sigh. Great building dedication, by the way! Excited for you guys about your new offices--God is indeed faithful!

Gypsy said...

ay, pahabol...as u can see--na heal nang mac ko since i texted you just an hour or so ago..thanks for praying! :-)

Beng said...

Hi Gypsy, Yeah, I read your blog entry about Manila living (which made me see the brighter side of Manila). Thanks for coming to our dedication. And good to know you can use your mac in Singapore! :-)