Saturday, June 24, 2006

Rainy Saturday

Pong bended the blinds strip and saw it raining hard outside. Bored of watching TV with me and his younger brother Robyn, he wanted to stretch his muscles and play basketball in the garage.

“Ay, umuulan. Gusto ko pa naman play ng basketball.”

There was a tinge of disappointment in his voice. His babysitting aunt (i.e. me), wishing for a streak of color to brighten up this gray Saturday, had a quick thought. I heard the words stumble out of my mouth before the rational part of me reasoned against the idea.

“Gusto mo maligo sa labas?”

It was like asking a chocoholic if he wanted a bar of Toblerone. His face lighted up and he loudly replied, “Sige!” When it registered to the mind of 3-year-old Robyn what would soon be happening, the excitement immediately rubbed on him.

And so outside we went—They, half-naked, with only their shorts on, and I, uhm, well, let me just say I “dressed for the occasion” too. Robyn opened his mouth wide and turned his head up, drinking the water from the sky. Pong dribbled the basketball and made more than a few successful shots. Seeing me by the side, they cajoled me into joining them where all the action was happening. They passed me the ball and watched me fumble with it (I’m no match for them but I think they were happy just to see me try.)

Soon, the heavy rain started to turn into a drizzle.

O, pag tumigil na ulan, pasok na tayo ha.”

Bakit wala nang rain, Tita Beng?”

Chuckling, all the answer I could muster was, “Eh wala na eh. Sige pray kayo na mag-rain pa.”

Little Robyn folded his hands and followed my advice, “Loooord, tenk yu por dis fud…”

My chuckle turned to laughter. Meanwhile, Pong’s contribution was an adaptation of a popular children’s rhyme. He sang,“Sun, sun, go away, come again another day. Little boy wants to play…”

But then all good things must come to an end. Finally, I convinced them that our time's up. I dried their feet and we headed towards the shower where they imagined they were still outside, playing in the rain.

There are some seemingly irrational things we adults shouldn't mind doing: Eating dirty ice cream in the street where our officemates might see us. Risking looking silly (don a giant goldfish costume, anyone?) in the name of good fun. And playing in the rain with kids. It's refreshing to revive the body; much more refreshing to revive the soul.

8 comments:

Swipe said...

Hello,

not to rain on your parade or anything (pun intended) you might want to consider removing the pic.

I read somewhere that compleately innocent pictures like these can be used by internet predators/traffickers for not so good ends.

Beng said...

Hi Swipe,
Rain on my parade, haha, how apt.
Thanks for dropping by. Talaga? :( Especially that my nephews don't have shirts on in the pic? Sige, I will take it out. I appreciate the advice, all the way from Australia. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that must have been fun! The're probably wishing it will rain again on another Saturday. Never did get to do that when I was a kid. :)

Gypsy said...

I remember doing that as a kid in our backyard--how limiting it can be sometimes to grow up. Great idea, Beng, might ask my nieces to do that when I get home to Davao! ;-)

Beng said...

Hi Ben, bawi ka sa future kids mo. Ask them to go out and play in the rain and then confess that it's your first time too. hehe.
Actually, I might get Pong's parents into trouble. The kids might EXPECT to be taken outside when it rains.

Yes, Jojie. Do it with your nieces when you get the chance. Do everything fun you can with those kids, now when they still think it's "cool" to hang out with their tita. :-)

Swipe said...

yea, it's true. I read about this dad who posted pics of his daughters in bikinis on his blog and then a co-worker tells him that he stumbled upon pics of his daughters in a pop-up for pedophiles

Sometimes you think the internet is a wonderful innovation and then you hear about something like this and it just scares the crap out of you.

Beng said...

Hay, what cruel and crazy things some people do. They just hope that the same kind of ill does not happen to them (but sometimes you'd wish na it happens to them nga). Now, because of this, I'd have to think twice about posting pictures of my nephews whenever I'd greet them on their birthdays!

Anyway, your advice was well-taken. Salamat ulit. :)

Anonymous said...

yohoo! ako naman last weekend, naligo din ako sa ulan. mag-isa nga lang. sa likod bahay! masaya! ;-) siguro after 10 years ko pa ulit siyang nagawa.