Saturday, July 01, 2006

Writing about you-know-who

I am no Lois Lane but let me use my writing pencil for a minute and write about you-know-who.

My heart has returned to its normal beating now, that is, after the post-movie watching palpitations I’ve experienced last night. Breathtaking is how I can describe the seamlessly tailored scenes. Within that window of two hours when my eyes were glued to the cinema screen, if somebody were to set me up on a blind date with an alien, I would have gladly said yes. But he should be 6’4”, with blue eyes and wears spandex.

Now that I’m over gushing, here are 3 observations on this much-awaited return of the Superhero:

1 As the 5-year-old Jason’s unexpected display of strength suggests, he is no ordinary boy. Granted that he really is the son of the man of steel, how can he have the lungs of straw? (I can almost hear you saying: Wait for the next Superman installment and maybe it'll be explained why.)

2 Lois Lane is pictured as a smart, busy and tough woman who can almost singlehandedly run her life. But then, did I miss the part where it was told that she also was an “easy girl”? Okay, she had a one-night stand with Superman five years ago. How could she then sleep with another man (Richard) during that same month she shared intimate moments with the man of her dreams (Superman)? (That is the implication because Richard believes the asthmatic boy is his). Let’s just say the story goes that Superman disappeared shortly after their tryst. Does this warrant the Pulitzer prize-winning journalist to make a stupid mistake of sleeping with the next available guy? With her strong, driven personality and her tough exterior (plus obsession with Superman), is she the type who would sleep with another man she has just met? If you ask me, it’s out of her character. (Obviously, the Superman Returns writer is a man. And obviously, I'm overanalzying here.)

3 Is Clark Kent a reporter or is he just pretending to work at the Daily Planet? The scriptwriter and director failed to show that Kent was worthy of his post at the newspaper. (Or maybe I’m just asking too much—a sprinkling of intelligence—from my superheroes when they're cloaked in ordinariness.)

When I wrote the first words of this post, I thought I’d be swooning up to the last word about Superman: the character and the movie. Yes, Clark Kent (a.k.a Superman) looks good. Yes, he’s got the eyes to melt bullets and with his stare, any girl’s heart. Yet after the stardust has settled, you start to think that maybe earthlings are still more interesting than aliens.

But don't let that previous sentence fool you. Let me say I thoroughly enjoyed watching Superman Returns. Four girls and a guy can attest to that.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Every woman—no matter how tough she has made herself to appear—longs to be rescued. She might not cry for help even while inside a plane doomed to nosedive and shatter to pieces, but she knows better. Deep in her heart, she needs somebody outside of herself to convince her everything’s going to be fine and ask after the plane is safe on the ground, “Are you alright?”

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

True. Sometimes, big blue just lands the plane then goes off to fight the enemy, ignoring the whole point of the battle - love and humanity. Maybe King Kong got it right when he was waltzing with the girl in the park. Malapit na ako manood! :)

Swipe said...

Hello. Please excuse my geekiness. Superman Returns is set five years after Superman 2 (the Christopher Reeve movie). In Superman 2 Lois and Clark get married and Clark tells her his secret. Clark then gives up his powers so that he can have a normal life. Then a bunch of stuff happens so that Clark has to get his powers back. He realizes that he can't give up his powers to have a normal life because that would be too selfish. So when he becomes Super again he causes Lois to lose her memory of their relationship (and his secret identity) so that it won't be painful for lois.

So my guess is that the kid is not completely super because he was conceived after Clark became normal.

Pardon the geekiness.

Beng said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beng said...

Hi Ben, uh-oh!I think I spoiled the surprise in the movie for you. I should have followed my instinct and put that spoiler warning on top of this post. Anyway, I have a feeling you'd enjoy this movie. Then we can talk about it and tell me about how it compares with King Kong. :-)


Hi Swipe, No, I dont mind the geekiness. I remember watching Superman 2 but do not remember all the details. Have you watched Superman Returns already? I'm assuming you have. Anyway, so you're saying that since his son was conceived when after Superman was "normal," then the boy can't have the full superpowers? Well, maybe that's why. But the sickly boy can sure pitch the piano (pun intended). But no, they didn't mention about Lois and Superman getting married. Medyo selective ang Superman Returns writer/s about what he/they alluded to from past versions in this story. Thanks for the interaction and enlightenment. :-) I'm surprised you remembered. You sound like a true-blue Superman fan.

4:46 PM

Anonymous said...

Time for us to watch the previous superman movies... hehehe... i have forgotten na rin ...

... like what i mentioned after watching the Superman returns... i wish there was a small portion about the relationship between Clark and her earth mom... parang naging user-friendly lang si Superman because once again, mom saves him... i would like to retain this image of superman who truly loves his family (based on Smallville)... o well... jen

Gypsy said...

Cute! Beng! :) I was so pleased when the movie opened with the same old superman theme song and credits..brought me back to my childhood! Ang saya!

Beng said...

HI Jen, oo na. Do you have copies of old superman films? I wasn't able to follow Smallville but most probably, Superman as the doting adopted son was highlighted there. You're right. That part of Superman didn't really show through in this version. Maybe the next version would be better. :-)

Hi Jojie, Brings back warm memories of Christopher Reeve no? hehe. I can still remember the exhilaration of watching this larger than life superhero when superheroes were few (not like now when a movie can feature close to 10--like sa X-men). I'm listening to "Can You Read My Mind' again. Sayang, instrumental lang ang pinatugtog sa movie. I would've love to hear that song. Nuod tayo ulit sa I-max! :-)

Gypsy said...

uy, ingat ka dyan ha, labs ko Xmen..hehehe, sorry am flying na to Davao this weekend for my long furlough. Kitakits na lang tayo sa cyberspace! Anyway, di din ako pwede sa Imax, nahihilo ako!8P

Nechie said...

i have the same reaction as yours after watching the movie.

but i've another theory on lois lane being an "easy girl" -- she didn't do it on the same month with richard and superman. superman is alien, so maybe the conception took around two years, not just nine months. hahaha!

by the way, there's this weird line that superman said at the movie's end: "the son has become the father and the father has become the son..." di ko na-gets yun ah! duh...

Beng said...

HI Jojie, there's a space in my heart for the XMen too! I just can't help making the comparison, hehe. Back to Davao huh? Not sure yet if really could watch at the IMAX theater (let alone reserve a ticket!) but then, maybe we could do something together when you return to Manila. :-)

HI Nechie, well, what can I say, "Great minds think alike." Haha. About the line you didn't get--don't worry. Maybe we'd understand it more in the next Superman installments. :-)

bijoi said...

wow ang galing ng discussion dito. mga superman freaks. hehehe. oh well, may point ka ate sa Lois lane thing. and besides she doesn't looked like the "Lois Lane" we know. parang napaka fragile niya sa movie. Sabi ko na nga ba e, dapat nag-audition ako for the role. hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Finally watched Superman last night. Maganda nga siya, you're right I did like it. I think Jason's powers are developing slowly, so he does not realize yet what he has. Maybe even the piano was a surprise to him. But after throwing the piano, he realized he did not need the inhaler anymore, his lungs where suddenly stronger.

Beng said...

Hi Ivy, you should watch Superman 1 and 2. Yes, I also still like Margot Kidder better than Kate But then again, maybe the boys won't agree with us.;) The new Lois is definitely prettier than the first, though lacking in spunk.

Hi Ben, oo nga ano? I didn't notice that--Jason not needing his inhaler anymore. Glad you liked it, just like what my instincts told me. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beng, I finally got time to read through your blogspot. Ang galing mung magsulat daig mo pa ako na nakatira sa america at kahalubilo lagi ang mga kano. Bilib ako sa yo. Anyway, I haven't seen Superman returns yet. I'm waitng for it to come out on DVD. Anyway, reading your blog kinda spoiled it for me but that's fine. Hindi bumenta ang movie na yan dito kasi sobra ang media hype that people expected a lot from it and they were disappointed. I was disappointed when I learned that Tome Welling wasn't going to be the Superman. If you think Brandon Routh is hot, you should see Tom Welling (He plays Superman in Smallville). I absolutely have a major crush on that guy (Don't tell Ronnel, you know, my husband). I'll comment on some of your other postings.

Beng said...

Hi Rae, it's about time you dropped by! Thanks for the gracious comments. made more meaningful to me by the fact that we're sisters! hehe. Yeah, I know how big a fan you are of Smallville. Tom Welling looks cute din nga. And Rae, I think Ronnel knows you have a crush on Tom. So there's really no secret to keep. :-) Miss you na. And how I wish I could see Emma!