Sunday, July 23, 2006

raining on the inside

The days have been woefully gloomy lately. I don’t recall feeling the warm rays of the sun on my skin anytime this week. Tonight, after a quick trip to the nearby mall, I got home all drenched with the sudden downpour. The tricycle got me home but did little to keep me dry while I was inside it. But I had no hard feelings for the driver. He himself was struggling to keep his eyes open, what with the strong wind slapping the rain on his face. I almost asked him to stop for a while and park somewhere before continuing on our way.

There’s something powerful about the rain. The way it refuses to be stilled when it decides to strike the earth; the way it locks arms with the wind and announces its presence.


I can hear no more trickling on the roof; the smell of damp earth serving as the only reminder that the angry sky just unleashed its fury. But I can still feel the rain. . . on the inside. This time, not even the biggest umbrella could keep me from being soaked.

Just when I am starting to overcome a pain or a loss, God allows another crisis to come and disturb my peace. And somehow, the magnitude of the trial escalates: A lost phone one day; the threat of losing a loved one the next. By instinct, I’ve known what to do. I could tap the play button in the recording of my mind and listen to myself say these lines over and over again: “God loves me. I don’t have to worry. He will see me through this pain."

Sounds positive, I know, yet God knows when I’m just mouthing the words, like a mantra, and when I sincerely believe it. And so, some days I feel a bit braver, more honest, and not move a finger to tap the play button and instead say (from the top of my head and the bottom of my heart): “Lord, I don’t understand this at all. Isn’t it in Your power to help me get through my difficulties? I’ve been good, no, make that extra benevolent. But then why am I still in this rut? Lord, please show me how all this makes sense. O God, are You even listening to this cry?”

The sky must have peeked over my shoulder and glanced at this post. Decided that this writing needed an accompaniment. What else would be appropriate than the distinct sound of rain? Yes, after a momentary pause, it rains again—on the outside; now in synch with the falling of the rain inside my heart. And so I listen. And hope that maybe if I listen carefully enough, I could hear a faint melody that will make me believe there’ll be sunshines ahead.

7 comments:

Nechie said...

yes, there will be sunshine ahead. and, as you yourself have mentioned in your comment on my post, even rainbows. lets watch out for signs of promises fulfilled. =)

Beng said...

Hi Nechie, who would have thought I'd be writing about rain again, using this tone? The metaphor can't be missed. Yes, I'm looking forward to sunshines...and rainbows too. Thanks for the encouragement. :-)

Anonymous said...

hey beng! the rain has stopped, for now. I hope it also brought a respite in your "inside." Praying for you... :- ) jen

Anonymous said...

hello, if you want to talk or pour it out in one long letter, I'd be willing to listen and read it. A line from an old song: "...storms are passing..." Praying for you, beng.

Beng said...

Thanks Jen, if God can still the storm in the sea, He can also still the storm in me. I'm hopeful. :-)

Hello Ruben, I might take you up on your offer one of these days. Still deciding if I'll talk or write. Salamat sa prayers. How can one person be so kind? :)

Anonymous said...

i like it when it rains. the forces of nature express compassion and sympathy to me. And sure after the rain, may sunshine or rainbow.

Anonymous said...

My rain has temporarily stopped. The sun has not shone as brightly as I want it to be, but i find it better to have this kind of a weather while I trust God to fulfill His promise until the sun smiles radiantly on me. I know He will keep His promise. I am confident that I'll receive what I have asked from Him. Trust in His name. Trust in His power. Trust Him that He'll take the pain away. He took away my pain away, He will take away your pain as well. And soon enough you'll find the sun shining on you, and your gloomy days will be over.