Friday, July 14, 2006

Working in "vain"

It's Friday noon and I'm sitting on a La-zy boy chair, having my toenails done, and sipping orange juice. And unbelievable as this may sound, this is official business. My boss actually knows that I am doing this and approves of it.

Minami is the name of the relatively new beauty parlor right across our office. With my bag containing my laptop strapped on my back, I walked the twenty steps to this haven of beauty this mid-morning. And at this very moment, I'm trying hard not to get distracted by the cascading water on the wide glass with two Japanese characters etched on them. The girl files my nails; I squint a little.

Yes, the reason why I'm here is work. Our office is still on dial-up and it takes forever for us to get files--especially ones coming from publishers abroad. Cover files, inside pages, fonts--we've downloaded them all. And wonder of all (techie) wonders, this parlor offers wi-fi connection! And no need to buy any cards (what do you say of that, Starbucks and Seattle's Best?)! We needed to download a file from an FTP site and I volunteered to do it since I also needed to download a cover file from an illustrator. And since I first sat here, I've already managed to set up a gmail account, receive the cover file, and write and respond to urgent emails.

And so with minutes more to wait--for the other download to finish--I snatch some time and gather some thoughts to write this post. But nothing particularly thoughtful or inspiring here. For after all, how deep can one get while having her toenails done? ;)

PS: Lest you think I'm too "sosy" (that's sosyal or "high class")to be sitting on a La-zy boy and tinkering with my laptop, let me mention that I just returned to the parlor after a quick lunch next door, at Tess and Trish snack bar (a carinderia, actually). With a smile on my face, I say, "It's good to be pulled back to earth and shake off the illusion of class and grandeur."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

sosy pa rin beng :- ) hehehe... jen

Beng said...

hehe. :-)sama kita minsan dun, jen. Free ang iced tea or juice or coffee with any service. Ansarap umupo sa la-zy boy! If I wasn't working, malamang nakatulog ako dun (which isn't surprising kasi kahit sa tricyle kaya kong umidlip.)

Gypsy said...

Hey girl, set up office in Davao! Sobra spoiled kami dito-nearly all coffee shops here have free wifi! Grabe, even Bo's and Figaro's have free wifi--a popular coffeeshop here named BluGre "upped the bar" some time ago by offering free wifi, so others had to follow suit or else...no customers...aint life in Davao grand!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Aaargh! di pa ko nakaupo sa la-zy boy, haven't tried our new laptop's wi-fi, it's been months since i last visited a beauty parlor, and i'm reading this post! And you did all of the above just across your office! How much did it cost including lunch at Tess and Trish? This har-working mom badly needed that kind of "vain"... and still working. :-)

I miss that area, where you can drop by our house anytime, and the bookstore is just 2-minute walk.

Beng said...

Hi Gypsy, yeah, life in Davao sure sounds ground. I hope that doesn't discourage you from coming back to Manila. :-) Really, wifi everywhere? Sure sounds like heaven for us, hehe. The closest I've been to Davao is GenSan. Maybe next time I'll land where you are. :-)

Hi Gina C, wow, you have a new laptop? I should see that! :-) Pedicure sa kanila 100, footspa with back massage 250 and my lunch is 60 pesos (that's Adobo with rice and coke light). Worth it naman. And here's the amazing part: I just realized we could pick up the wifi signal from our bookstore at the second floor. So it means free wifi connection forever! Yehey! :-)

Oo nga, I can still remember when your house was just walking distance away from our office. Sayang dahil wala pang hi-tech parlor at nicer-looking bookstore nuon. Oh well, drop by whenever you can pa rin. :-)

Anonymous said...

So that's why you've been going to Minami! We really should explore some kind of partnership with them, ok yung wifi connection. Hehehe. Do they do guy's haircut? With razor or just scissors? Curious lang, beng. Hay the wonders of technology and salons.

Anonymous said...

Cooool!:-) Ok, I'll bring the office-issued new IBM laptop to OMF, ask my husband to test its wi-fi there, while i enjoy the footspa at Minami. Hehehe, "OMF- the best books hotspot in Boni" (borrowed from Figaros' the best coffee hotspot in....)

P.S. natawa ko sa first comment ko, di ko na-edit. :-)

Anonymous said...

ugghh. i'd love a job like yours!! haha. :) hi ate beng, been awhile. :)

Beng said...

Hi Ben, Im not sure how they do guys' haircuts. But they are pretty efficient. And on your birthday, you get a 15% discount on all services. haha. I've just been there once this month, just to download the file. Now, I'm just happy to catch a glimpse of the parlor, my favorite spot in the bookstore. Yeah, we should have parnership with them: Beauty, Bytes and Brains. :-)

Hi Gina, yeah, come here soon! I'm sure your husband will gladly oblige to do the wi-fi testing for you. Just say when. :-)

Hi Riz, any "You've Got Mail" episodes lately? :-) Why trade places with me when you've got a super job yourself? Thanks for dropping by.