Saturday, May 28, 2005

An afternoon with Chayen and Robin Padilla


My youngest sister Chayen is back in the house--at least for two days and two nights. With her husband Regie away for a planning in Baguio, she decided to sleep in her old bed and stay in her old room, pre-Mrs. Emperado days.

Part of our mid-morning conversation went like this:

Chayen: Pasok na lang kaya ako sa office? Ang init dito eh.
Beng: Ha? Sabado, pasok ka? Wag na. Punta na lang tayo SM.
Chayen: Wala akong pera eh. Libre mo ko?
Beng: Alam mo, mas makakatulong ka sa kumpanya mo kapag pumasok ka.

Of course, I was joking and she knew it. After my laughter subsided, I suggested we watch a movie. Starwars? No, she had another movie in mind.

La Visa Loca. With no expectations at all about the movie, I was surprisingly entertained by it. An effective satire of the Filipino people and culture, it was thought-provoking. The dialogues were crisp and natural; the plot, believable. Robin Padilla didn’t seem like he was acting; he was Jess, the dutiful-son-cum-driver-cum-aspiring-US-nursing-aide. La Visa Loca, self-tagged as an intelligent comedy, lived up to its assertion. I was laughing so loud in one hilarious scene, Chayen felt embarrassed for me.

But much as I enjoyed watching Robin Padilla, I enjoyed spending time with Chayen even more. The afternoon ended with me becoming a few hundred pesos poorer. But it was but a small investment for etching one priceless memory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(sigh) Praise God for moments with your sis. May you have more priceless memories together. :) I did hear that the movie is good.

Beng said...

Thanks Ben. :-) Minsan ko na lang kasi siya makasama nang matagal eh, kaya nilulubos-lubos ko na. Yes, the movie is good. Graded A yata siya.

Anonymous said...

Beng, naisahan ka na naman ni Chayen (-: Btw, kamusta na si buntis? Ilang buwan na ba siya?

Beng said...

Hi Nang, oo nga eh. Naiisahan talaga ako lagi ni Chayen (at ni Dong na rin. Di bale, I'll get my reward in heaven for being a longsuffering sister, haha). She's doing OK, magti-3 months na yata.