Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Warm Company in Cool Baguio



One weekend. Two days, no fixed agenda.

These no-agenda days don’t come too often for me lately. The last time I was out of town, it was for our retreat when, even if I had some relaxing days, I had some work to do. So when it was time for our long-planned getaway, I didn’t exactly know how to feel about it. Excited or uneasy? I couldn’t tell. With my backpack strapped over my shoulders, I nonchalantly boarded the midnight-trip bus to Baguio.It has been a long day. I’m quite tired, Lord. Please help me get some rest.

(Little did I know that God’s answer would come in the form of verbs.)
- - - - - - - - - - -
14 verbs in 2 days:

Feel the breeze in Mines View Park. Check out the souvenir shops. Go to the Botanical Garden. See Camp John Hay. Walk through Manor hotel grounds. Take pictures. Pose for pictures. Eat. Play Taboo and Pictionary. Watch DVDs. Sleep. Attend the Bread of Life Worship service. Eat some more. Laugh hard.
- - - - - - - - - - -

I didn’t think I would enjoy this two-day vacation as much as I did. In the cool Baguio air, I was warmed by the company of friends. Up in the summer capital of our country, God reminded me that He is not a stern drill sergeant who only takes pleasure in seeing His subordinates follow His orders. Rather, He is a loving Father who smiles when He sees His children in play and fun. And did I have 100% fun. Absolutely no work required.


3 comments:

Olive Joy said...

"He is a loving Father who smiles when He sees His children in play and fun." - This made my day! I'll make sure I have fun today. :)

Anonymous said...

Baguio! Happy for you!

Beng said...

Yes, Olive, there's always a time for good, wholesome, laugh-your-heart-out fun. If earthly fathers delight in their children enjoying sandboxes and swings, surely our Heavenly Father would delight seeing us smiling. :-)

Thanks, Ben. :-)