Friday, May 13, 2005

Hot or Cold?

Summer, like a regal princess stepping down the stairs to the ballroom floor, made a grand entrance. All of us felt her presence, as we all ooh-ed and aahh-ed. (As in “Ooh, ang init!” “Aahh, basa na ako ng pawis!”)

During these days, there’s no use complaining about the heat—really. It could be worse. How? Well, would you like to swap climates with the US of A? Just the climate. As you imagine Uncle Sam’s territory, subtract the PX goods, Mickey Mouse and his friends, the malls, and all things stateside.

There, when it’s cold, it’s not just put-on-a-jacket-and-you’re-fine cold. It’s “BRR!-I-am-not-an-Eskimo-I-can’t-take-this-anymore” cold. Case in point: I could be wearing 3 sets of clothes on top of the other, a bonnet, scarf, gloves, 2 pairs of socks under my boots and still feel cold when I step outside the heat-insulated house. There’s little you can do when the temperature drops WAY below zero.

Here, when it’s hot, you may simply do any of the following to relieve yourself: (1) Wear less clothing (but you should still be decent, though), (2) Turn the aircon or electric fan full blast, (3) Eat ice cream, halo-halo or saging con-hielo (A waiter two nights ago had to confirm to me, “Banana?” I politely replied yes but wondered what the other translation of saging could be), (4) Take all the baths your water supply affords you until your skin wrinkles like a raisin, and (5) Retreat to the nearest mall.

Hot or Cold? I’ll take hot anytime and everytime. Now, if you’ll excuse me. After I switch off the electric fan, I’ll take one long shower. I’ll wear my sleeveless shirt over my capri pants then head off to the mall, a 10-minute tricycle ride away. What’ll I do there? Among many things, I'll be doing point number 3!

Enjoy the rest of the sweltering days of Summer.

5 comments:

Nechie said...

thanks for the practical advice, i never really liked the summer heat... except if it means going on a road trip to the mountains, or soaking myself on the seashore, or catching a glimpse of the sunset even when it's already past 6pm. But still, i can't wait for rainy days to come. wag lang babaha. =)

Anonymous said...

Sama ako sa mall(-: Miss ko na iyong black gulaman from ChowKing. Can't wait to go back to Manila again. God-willing, next year..

Anonymous said...

Been to a conference in Tanay, Rizal. The place was on top of a mountain, overlooking the rest of Metro Manila. Despite the view and location, mainit pa rin! Surprise, surprise. Hindi lang pumapasok ang hangin sa loob ng building. Changing shirts every few hours helped. Haha!

Beng said...

Hi Alan,
I agree. Baguio's climate is great. I have very "cool" memories of that place. Going there for me is such a treat.
I wonder how hot it is nowadays in Davao?

----------
Nechie, I don't usually enjoy rainy days (it's quite a challenge going home dry!) but this time, I'm changing my mind. Let the rains come! :-) (Well, it does come once in a while)

-----------

Nang, here's the deal: come visit and I will buy you all the black gulaman you want from Chowking!:-)Sana nga makauwi kayo soon.

Ganito na lang, everytime I drink gulaman, I will do it with you in mind. :-)

------------

Ben, talaga? We are not safe from the oppresive heat anymore, anywhere. Imagine, nasa bundok na kayo, mainit pa rin? Di bale, let's take comfort in the fact that this too shall pass. :-)

Beng said...

It occasionally rains here too, affords some relief from the sweltering heat.
Koronadal, where I was last March, is not too far away from Davao, so I can just imagine how hot it is there. Sana nga bumuti na ang panahon.