Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Three days in Tagaytay



My three days of this four-day long break were spent with a group of more than seventy people, men and women, from different professions and persuasions. All of us enjoyed the cool Tagaytay weather while billeted at Sunrise Holiday Mansion. “Rest, Security, Hope in Him” was the theme of this year’s convergence, an annual conference organized by Influencers International [Picture of Makati II delegates, the largest group represented].

It was a welcome change for me, not having to think about work for several days. My soul and body were nourished. My body was fed with an array of delicious food, relished over stimulating conversations. As for my soul, spending time with God and listening to His messages were enjoying feasts. As the theme suggests, I learned about rest, security and hope. The gifted speaker, in three sessions, reminded us about our need to take care of our bodies through proper attention to rest, nutrition and maintenance. Then came the challenge for us to reconsider where we base our security. Is it money, relationships, success? And lastly, the message of waiting expectantly, which is the essence of hope.

And, lest I forget, there was the “disturbing” message, from another resource person, about biblical manhood and womanhood.

- - - - - - -
Am I a nice girl, tough girl or an emasculating controller? (Three other kinds of women were in the list of manifestations of control: the helpless controller, little girl and busy girl).

Pierre, seated on my left, asked me if I fit the mold of the tough girl. I took no offense, smiled and replied, “That’s just what most people think.” After the session, Wendell, my one-time verbal sparring partner, approached me and half-seriously (I hope) tags me as the emasculating controller. This time I took offense and playfully answered back, “Hindi ah! Nice girl ako, NICE GIRL!” After I twisted his arm, Wendell relented and agreed that I, indeed, am a nice girl (And a joker too. Incidentally, the first part of the previous sentence was a joke).

Why the categories?

The premise was that after the Fall (read: Adam and Eve disobeyed God, listened to the cunning serpent and each took a bite out of the forbidden fruit), men and women ever since have not been true to God’s original design. This explains the different categories women (and men: the little boy, macho boy, good boy, and distant boy) fall into. Men have been avoiding courageous movement by violence, immobilization, compensation and massive denial. While we, women, have long ceased to follow the man’s lead and instead have been taking matters into our hands and control men and our world. So what was God's original intent for man and woman?

God’s design was for man to move in sacrificially, courageously, risking for the well-being of other. But because of the Fall, man has now become avoiders in relationships both as initiator and as the one responsible for it.

God’s design was the woman to trust even when there’s no reason to; to give her soul to encourage someone else, to be soft and vulnerable. But because of the Fall, she has become more concerned about how she could least be damaged and hides her tender responsiveness.

I agree on both counts.

It will take a kilometric article for me to detail my interaction on the subject. Besides, I am still thinking(and thinking hard at that) about my response to the challenge of biblical womanhood. How can I truly grasp the essence of femininity, be securely aware of my worth and able to make others feel welcome? Can I be truly beautiful, that is, have a heart of faith and rest in God alone? What does it mean to be soft and vulnerable? Will I take the risk and learn to be inviting enough to give room for others to come into my life?

Can we, daughters of Eve, change from being manipulative, controlling women to valiant women? To borrow Shakespeare's words: "To be or not to be[this kind of woman]: That is the question."

It will take one great leap of faith, and the enabling of an infinitely greater God to help me answer that question. But deep inside, I know I want it to be a "yes."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, bilis ng blog mo ah! that 'disturbing message' really had lots of discussion points...too bad we didn't have time to have an open forum...if its any consolation, I don't think your a 'tough girl' (and you're not twisting my arm here :-))...i may have different views on this, but hey, that's my opinion :-) enjoy the rest of the week!!

Beng said...

I had to blog immediately lest I forget how I felt, what I thought. Thanks for the affirmation, JC.
:-) Yes, I wish our group had more time to talk. For all we know, we might be operating on false assumptions about each other all along. Enjoy the rest of the week too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think i am a nice,tough, little, busy girl... but then... di ko alam ang meaning ng each one... i just took the literal meaning of the word... you should explain it to me one day :- ) interesting topic... para i can tell you din what i think about you :- ) - jen

Nechie said...

I was looking for your comment about Toto's comments. =) Blogged about the convergence too, but I had a different angle. check it out. ;)

Beng said...

Jen, sure, let's have a date sometime and I'll bring my notes. These categories describe how we women relate with, or "control" men. Not a noble idea, I know, but you see, Eve started it (another round of blame-shifting here). Which bring us to the Fall...More info when we meet.

Nechie, hmm...blogging about my discussions with Toto? Do I really want to detail his explanation of the "c" word here? See I can't even type the whole word. haha. Read your blog. Interesting, and a surprising, angle indeed. :-)