Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Blinders

Racehorses have them, and I wish could wear them too: blinders.

This random thought visited me this morning while singing a Praise song with the line which says, “You’re altogether lovely, altogether worthy. Altogether wonderful to me.” Now how could an earthly thought such as this come to me while singing a song directed to the heavens?

Why the wish?

Because I am afraid that I am missing out on how lovely, how worthy and how wonderful He is. Sadly, I am often consumed by what I can see with my naked eyes. Most of the time I think only about the here and now. I should pick up my passport from the travel agent. Will that package fit my luggage? What astringent best lightens pimple marks? Yes, my being nearsighted and not having 20/20 vision makes me feel bad. But what makes me feel worse is my nearsightedness that cannot be remedied by a pair of prescription glasses.

Now, add to my nearsightedness my unbelievably strong tendency to get distracted by what or who are in the sidelines. I would easily get rattled when I catch a glimpse of the regrets of the past, insecurities of the present, fears of the future. Now, if I had blinders on, my focus will remain steady, set as flint. And that is, on Him who is the Author and Perfecter of my faith. On Him who thinks I'm special enough for Him to give His love and life to.
On Him who tells me, “Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

To keep my eyes fixed on Him I need to give all of me: Exert every ounce of my strength, unravel every shred of my faith, and squeeze every drop of my self-will. Either I do that or God gives me blinders.

And I still have a long way to run in this track called life.

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen
is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal (2 Corinthians 4:18)."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I can relate to this... Don't forget our date before you take your long vacation.

Beng said...

Hi She, yeah, ang hirap 'no? Yun ang gusto kong Christmas at birthday gift: blinders! I'll be out of town from Friday to Sunday. Will text you when I get back :-)

Bong said...

but something's got to be said about peripheral vision too. while it is important that one must focus on the goal, we miss something of the beauty of the journey when we ignore the detours, the side-trips and the little details that we let slip. On His way to Jerusalem where He will fulfill His destiny, Jesus surprisingly took time to talk to people, healed the blind who called out to Him, had dinner with a tax collector, and people were enriched and changed because of it.

Beng said...

Said like a true pastor! Thanks for the insight :-)
It was a part of Jesus' destiny too to be the living, breathing manifestation of God to the people. So those "interruptions" might not really interruptions for Him after all!
On a personal level, my problem, really, is being sidetracked sometimes by what I see that I lose sight on what is truly important. I wish I could elaborate but I can't. This time, I'm at a loss for words.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of this song:

I Commit - Margaret Becker

Sometimes I wish I had a pair of blinders
To cut down my point of view
Maybe then I could
concentrate
On just living my life for You
I'm just a temple of flesh and blood
Who daily must decide
Whether to bow to the temple wall
Or to the spirit locked inside
....

Anonymous said...

Chris and I were just talking about this very topic the other night. The good thing is because He loves us, He reminds us that we are losing focus on what is truly important so we can be back on track. The verse you qouted says it all. See you on Saturday (-:

Beng said...

Nang, your name's short this time(where's the "your pretty sis"? i missed that.:p). I agree with what you said. Good thing that God, in His incredible grace, reminds us when we're losing focus before we completely get off track. We're not really so unlike the stubborn, rebellious Israelites.
Hey, I am SO excited to see you all again. Before, I was counting the days. This time, I'm counting the hours!

Beng said...

Hi S (for Sharon, right?), this stanza seems like a part of a very beautiful song. I hope to someday listen to it. Thanks for visiting, and sharing. When you visit OMFLit again sometime, let's be formally introduced. :-) I don't think we were.