Friday, December 09, 2005

Feels like my day

I was running late coming to work. As the clock ticked away, I was already thinking of tasks which needed to be done today—my last day at work for 2005. I gasped for breath and pictured the day’s challenges. Ready to be stressed. Bring it on.

But on my last step up the stairway leading to our room, I wondered: “Is everybody late? Why are the lights still not on?”

As I turned the door knob, another question entered my mind: “And why is the door locked?” After a couple more seconds, I discovered why.

And oh, what a discovery! A dark room greeted me, illuminated only by the light from candles atop a Red Ribbon mocha cake. My teammates offered me a heartfelt rendition of the Happy Birthday song while I grinned from ear to ear as a bottle-ful of exhilaration was spritzed on me.


The Publications team didn’t miss the chance of celebrating my birthday before I left for the US. Nobody seemed to have minded, well, especially not me, that we are celebrating my birthday sixteen days early. My boss, Ate Yna, thoughtfully bought a cake the night before. The same thing Ian, an editor, did who handed me a bouquet of pink roses. The cake tasted sweet but the euphoria I felt over the pleasant surprise was infinitely sweeter. The flowers were beautiful but do not compare to the beauty of kindred spirit we share.

It’s not everyday when I feel like it’s my day. Today is one of those days. Wow.


PS: Before the day ended, another friend, Gracia, handed me a slice of cake and a can of coffee. For the coffee time we couldn't share anymore, she gave them to me instead. Now, who needs coffee when you've got great friends like these to perk you up?! :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday Beng! I know January pa birthday mo :- ) pero okay lang :-) we will celebrate it when you are back!

Enjoy your time with the pamangkins! - jen

chris said...

It is really a great suprise coming from someone who celebrates her birhtday on Christmas day. Your teammates are really awesome, giving you a pretty much advanced party. Take care on your trip. I read some of your blog: the best!

Anonymous said...

That was nice! You can always count on them to give you a memorable party..will be visiting your blog and reading your stories in the US. God bless, Beng.

Beng said...

Hi Jen, will we really celebrate my birthday in January? I wonder how it'll feel like, trying to convince myself that my birthday is a day other than Dec 25! See you when I get back!

Hi Chris, thanks for the comments and visiting. Yup, my teammates are awesome. Makes working so much easier.

Hi Ben, can you remember when you were still part of this "surprising" team? :-) Keep me posted. Thanks for visiting, and God bless you too.

kars said...

happy birthday po! ",)

Beng said...

Wow, Karina. New picture! Thanks. My birthday still not until Dec 25 tho but I appreciate the early greeting.