Saturday, December 17, 2005

Seeing royalty

Today I’ve seen royalty—the kings and queens of Narnia: Peter and Edward, Susan and Lucy. And of course, the real king of Narnia before the children of Adam arrived, Aslan. My “royal” experience coincided with the first time I’ve set foot on a Stateside movie theater.

So what was it like? The grandest thing about my moviewatching experience was the movie itself. The moviehouse this side of the world is not that different from the ones we have back in Manila. In fact, many of the Ayala cinemas are bigger than this one I entered. Only one-sixth of the approximately 150-seater moviehouse was occupied. It was a small community cinema, housed inside a one-floor building. The low ticket sales could probably be attributed to the fact that the movie was already running for a week now.

I won’t go into the details of the movie. Many of you who’ve read the book know how the story’s going to turn out anyway. But let me just say that there’s always something magical about letting your imagination run loose: You wouldn’t know where it would take you. I say that for C.S. Lewis and the creative people behind The Chronicles of Narnia, the movie.

Mrs. Beaver asks the fox who has seen Aslan, “So what is he like?”
“Like everything we’ve ever heard.”

6 comments:

sillyserious said...

waaaaah! you've seen it na! screening in manila starts in january because of the mmff. my soles are itching to step into the wardrobe and into the cinematic narnia! patience, patience...

p.s. we missed you at the office party :) i went as jughead (no sweat! haha!). wala na kasi akong taga-gawa ng high-shock-value costume. hehe. if only i had kept the barrel, i could have just adorned it with christmassy stuff and wore it again! ahihihi...

Anonymous said...

Will be watching Narnia with friends once it starts showing here in the Phil. In the meantime, I'm curious about Exodus, starring Bong Revilla! The effects seem good, although I expect to see familiar scenes taken from LOTR and other foreign fantasy movies.
Hindi ko pa nasabi sa boss ko. I'll email you about it. Life is hectic this December. :)

Beng said...

Hi Aleks, I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip to Narnia. The unmistakably Christian theme was preserved in the movie adaptation. I couldn't help but shed some tears while watching it.
Hey, I missed one big party. About THAT barrel, yeah, you should have kept it. It's the hardest costume I've ever done--so far.:-) Looking forward to seeing your pictures as Jughead. Enjoy your time with your family in Davao.

Beng said...

Hi Ben, Exodus? Do you think it's in any way based on the biblical account? Tell me about it. Bong Revilla's been making movies with great effects. I'll be so impressed to know if he can even come close to LOTR!
Sorry to hear life's been hectic for you. Just rest in the hope that life will get better--it always does. We, more than anybody else, should be people of hope. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Inggit ako!! Will have to wait longer to catch Narnia here in Manila. Was it well received kahit na may 'unmistakeable Christian themes'?

Beng said...

Hi JC, I think so. Although the people here are probably anticipating the Kingkong movie more. Many here are apathetic about Christianity, I think. Sad.