Sunday, December 11, 2005

Jetlagged Thoughts*


Zero.
That was the amount of sleep I had before boarding the first of the three planes that took me here in the US. While still at the NAIA, I had to run on pure adrenaline during the whole, almost complicated process, of checking in for my flight. At 5:45 am, while queing to get my boarding passes, I suddenly wished to be the president of the Philippines. With the kind of privilege PGMA's position affords, she doesn't have to face this airport nightmare. But then again, with the state our country is in, she's probably got enough nightmares to keep her awake every night. And so I take back my wish. One-time stress versus six years' worth of it: nah. I'll take being an ordinary mortal anytime.

Buy it. Read it. Return it. And get a 50% refund.
An airport bookstore in Detroit (where I took my connecting flight to New Jersey), Heritage Borders, makes this offer. Coming from the book business, I knew it was a great deal. No wonder people in the US have become booklovers; they're spoiled! I see people in the airport lounges reading while waiting for their flights. Reading, with a sandwich on one hand and a paperback on the other. I did my own share of reading, while up in the air and down at the terminal: Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Dr. Paul Brand with Philip Yancey (which I highly recommend). Another book tucked in my luggage somewhere is an ancient copy of Elisabeth Elliot's Shadow of the Almighty.

Like earning a masteral degree in self-denial.
That is how parents must be feeling while taking care of their kids. I'm not in the program yet but I can already imagine its demands. My nephews gladly tell me this, and in non-verbal terms too. Case in point: I catch some precious sleep on the couch while watching Madagascar with them (this was probably about an hour of my arrival). While in the REM cycle of my sleep, I suddenly hear a loud voice reverberate in my ear, "Tita Beng, wake up. Wake up! The movie's over. Let's play." I had to remind myself that in my dictionary, the word "they"-- these thousands of kilojoules of energy contained in tiny bodies--comes before "me." And that they're the primary reason why I've willingly allowed myself to be sleepless.

*These 3:30 am thoughts canned after my body couldn't tell if it was day or night and prodded me to write instead of sleep. I'm hoping to recover from this confusion-slash-jetlag soon. :-)

6 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Beng! Glad to know that you arrived safe and sound albeit sleepless. I know that you will be pestered by your many (more than one is many :-) ) nephews but will love it so much. Enjoy your stay!

ps. get me some snow pls... hehehehe

Anonymous said...

Hi Beng! Glad to know that you arrived well diyan, kahit may jetlag ka pa. Enjoy your time with your family especially yung mga pamangkin mo. I was able to talk with my pamangkins last night and I miss them.. sulitin ko time to with them when I get there. Kaya, ganon din gawin mo diyan. Pag balik mo exchange notes tayo sa pagiging tita natin.

Anonymous said...

Fearfully and wonderfully made was my first Philip Yancey book. I read it after attending a one month camp in Cebu. The insights on the body of Christ came alive to me because of my experiences with Christians from all over the Philippines! Grabe ang hangover.
Hehe, enjoy yourself Tita Beng. Spoil them this Christmas!

Beng said...

Hi Jen, treat na lang kita sa halo-halo. Parang ganun lang naman yung snow eh. At least sa atin, may lasa pa. :-)

Hi Sherry, enjoying my babysitting duties here. Yun nga lang, in English! :-) Di marunong magsipag-tagalog ang mga pamangkin ko dito. Tinuturuan ko na nga eh, "Ian, I'll teach you a word. Do you know what 'kulit' means?" hehe. Sige, usap tayo pagbalik ko.

Hi Ruben, have you read its sequel, "In His Image"? If you haven't, I'd gladly lend you my copy. :-) I'm happy to say I'm slowly recovering from the hangover. Hope you're OK. :-)

Olive Joy said...

"Like earning a masteral degree in self-denial."

HAHAHAHA. what a way to describe parenthood. but rather accurate. i'm enrolled in the non-human program, just roughly approximates the real thing during the first few months.

:) Have a Happy Christmas Beng!

Beng said...

Hi Olive, yes, saw your blog entries dedicated to dogs, yours and otherwise! :-) So do you see yourself being in the program for long? Looks like you have the heart for it.

Merry Christmas too. :-)