Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Another day in NY

I could pitch a tent here. Here is a 42nd street bookstore, Coliseum Books, with an in-house cafe serving Kobricks coffee. Waiting for the clock to strike 11, when the New York Public Library across the street opens, I browse through its extensive collection of books. The sign which reads "Limit 2 books in the cafe" is hard to be missed so I find two interesting titles by the counter. With my medium-sized house blends coffee, time whizzed by me as I grew more and more comfortable in my spot. I could have stayed here the whole morning except that outside there was so much happening.
Ancient. This word best describes the glass-encased books being displayed at the New York Splendor of the Word: Medieval and Renaissance Illuminated Manuscripts, baits bibliophiles to marvel at a collection of pages dating back between the 10th and 16th century. Impressive is the next best word. Now if I could only find the room with a fireplace I saw in The Day After Tomorrow.
Times Square is easily the busiest area in NY. Even in the brightness of the day, blinking lights and tickers flash and command attention. Gigantic billboards and signs dwarf even the tallest of New Yorkers. While waiting for the NJ-bound bus, I notice the traffic. A massive transport strike cripples New York. No city buses, no subways. I didn't feel its effect; I was walking the whole time. My feet temporarily expanded one size bigger to accomodate the stress they were taking. As for my keeping warm, extra layers of fabric helped me cope better with the chill this time. And they say it's just another NY day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When in New York visit the public library! Hehehe...you gave me an idea -- normally, its the bookstores I visit :-)

Times square..now that's a place to visit...did you see the Coca-Cola sign? Hehehe...free advertising din to :-)

Oo nga, heard about the transport strike....HA! kala nyo sa Pinas lang nangyayari yon no? :-) Buti naman you were not too affected

Anonymous said...

can i join you inside the tent? hehehe! loved the scarf! - jen

Beng said...

Hi JC! How can I miss the Coke sign? It was so big! :-) Yeah, visit the Public library. Although I really didn't know that there was an exhibit, nagkataon lang. The transport strike lasted for three days. Good thing I didn't need to ride anything while in NY except the bus back to New Jersey. So when are you going to NY?

Hi Jen, sure! You would have loved it. The US has great bookstores. If only for this, I could live here. But nah. Visiting is ok. The scarf helped with the chill. Excited to see you again. :-)