Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Day in NY

Wearing layers of clothing to brave a day out walking the streets of New York, I thought, "This should be enough to keep me warm." I was the epitome of confidence, posing for the camera for a minute while waiting for the Coach bus to take us to NY. Now, I think I'm as accurate in my prediction as the local weatherman with an accuracy rating of negative ten.

It was to be my first day during this 2005 visit to the Big Apple. Destination: Broadway. My sister Nang graciously treats me to a musical which bested others in the Best
Musical category. With eight Tony awards, this should be good. Hairspray is a fun, entertaining visual and auditory spectacle about a plus-size protagonist Tracy Turnblad, a teen who dreams of making it to the Corny Collins show and be noticed by the singer/dancer dreamboat Link. It was 1962, in Baltimore, when towering hairdos rule the world. And what better else to help the beauty-conscious women than a can of hairspray? And so there were lots of singing, dancing and yep, cans and cans of hairspray. In fact, near the end of the show a giant hairspray figured in the center of the stage which turned out to be a trojan horse carrying the hard-to-be-missed Mrs. Turnblad (actually played by a man, John Pinette). And what started out as a teen romance story turned out to be a tale of the fight against segregation, during a time when "coloreds" were separated from the "whites." The company of players, after delivering a seamless performance, was honored by the audience as it rose to its feet for a standing ovation and non-stop applause.

It was nearly five pm when we got out of the Neil Simon theater but it could have been eight--it was already dark. As we walked briskly, my face started to feel numb. My nose could freeze and fall off and I wouldn't even notice. And it wasn't just me, a non-New Yorker, who thought so. Even my sister who has gone through countless winters already quipped, "Oh man! It's cold--and I live here!"


I'll be back to New York. But next time, I'll be as tightly wrapped as a lumpiang sariwa from Goldilocks. With that thought, why am I suddenly missing the Philippines?

7 comments:

merilion said...

hello ate beng. glad you're enjoying your vacation there. =) pangarap ko ring makapanood ng play diyan sa broadway. haay, kelan kaya matutupad? =P

we just had our Christmas party last night, and it was fun. it was momentous for me and ate marianne though: we won first and second prize respectively! God is so gracious!! i went as Pinocchio, while she went as the Witch in Snow White. i hope to post something about it and some pics in my blog.

and more good news: ate marianne accepted Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior yesterday! kausap siya ni ate yna nun, appraisal. we were singing Happy Birthday to her. =) tapos nanalo pa siyang 2nd prize sa costume. double blessing for her!

praises to our King!

Beng said...

What news! I'm so happy for Marianne. I knew it was only a matter of time before she opens her heart to the Lord! Wish I was there to personally celebrate with her but then again a thousand angels are already rejoicing so this one (that's me! haha) is hardly missed.
Great job for you and Marianne. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.(Your blog, I think, is not working. I checked it out.)
You still have your whole life ahaed of you, Butch. Broadway will be waiting.
Thanks again for the updates.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beng. Glad your enjoying yourself. Oo nga, why do you suddenly miss the Philippines? Hehe, joke. :) Activities are coming in fast now, church and work, but I expect will slow down by next week. It's a little cold here now, enough to get sick but not enough for my face to go numb. :)
God bless!

Anonymous said...

Cool outfit! New Yorker na New Yorker ang dating :-) Just perfect for a Broadway play. So what if its cold :-) hehehe Glad you're enjoying yourself there!

Beng said...

Hi Ben. I'm missing the Philippines because of three reasons: the weather, the food and the people--not necessarily in that order! :-) So till when will you be at work? Did you tell your boss already about you-know-what? You can email me if the space's too short (and too public) for you. Stay well during this cool December.


Hi JC. Thanks for dropping by. My cool outfit though is pang-porma lang (hehe).:-) It wasn't enough to keep me warm in chilly NY. So how was the Metro party?

Anonymous said...

Hey Beng! The metro party was fun! around 70 people came! And this time it was not masikip! :- ) I can identify with you, missing the Phils while in a foreign country... give it a few days and you will forget us, hehehe :- ) imagine me in Paris and not knowing anyone! :- ) We miss you though! Enjoy your time out there! - jen

Beng said...

Thanks for the update, Jen. Missing you too. Though whenever I see my blue, polka dot socks, I remember you. See you next month. -