Sunday, January 15, 2006

About a book

How could I miss it? Upon entering Powerbooks at Shang-rila, the first table that greets me was stacked with piles and piles of books--all of which were, as if you didn't know what the current movie fare is, Narnia-themed. Narnia activity book for kids. The boxed collection of seven individual books. Narnia comic books. And this.

Lest you think I'm an impulsive buyer, let me say that I am not. I can ignore tempting purchases and delay (or forego) gratification. Just recently, I've let go of two books I wanted so badly because I thought they were too expensive. But when I saw this 767-page volume, a good buy at 20% discount, I suddenly imagined myself to be a lawyer and rattled off in my mind plausible reasons why I needed to have it. And being the "great lawyer" that I am, I won the case. And oh, it helped too that I stood as the judge.

And so I boarded the bus that took me home with a heavy load on one arm but with a light feeling in my heart. I've long wanted to visit the world of Narnia but been postponing the trip. This time, with nowhere else to go, no particular book to read in my list, I bought the ticket. And off to Narnia I went.

And so for the past two days, I've been meeting fauns and dwarves. Listening to talking trees and mice. Tagging along with the Pevensies wherever their battles call them. And Aslan--being terrified and awed by Him. I've not completed the trip yet. In fact, my skin still feels sticky as one can expect after being at sea with Prince Caspian's company whom I was on board with on the Dawn Treader.

I'll make a poor travel agent who uses big words to draw people in so take this advice from a friend instead: Don't think twice about visiting Narnia. You can postpone going alright but after setting foot on this magical land, you'd feel bad about not making the trip sooner. You might not like it as much as I do but take the risk and make the trip. Yes, take more risks and have less regrets.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday, a male friend was asking me about a book we might have at our bookstore (I work in a publishing house with a bookstore on the first floor). I texted him back and inquired how many copies he wanted. A few minutes later he texted back, saying it was for his mom, who, incidentally, changed her mind and didn't want it anymore. He quips with a smiley face, "Why is it that women easily change their minds?" It was more of an observation than a question. Amused, I replied, "Now at least you know from experience that it's true." I assure him I won't mind in case his mom wanted it, again. Several hours later, back to Narnia, I come across this line said by Rabadash: "For it is well known that women are as changeable as weathercocks. . . " I took no offense and laughed out loud. Two strikes in one day.

Now, this seeming changeability of women's minds, in varying frequency of occurences, is universal--crosses races, generations, worlds. Maybe it's one of the things we, daughters of Eve, couldn't help. Like the fact we women have more delicate features, or that we can bear children. But that doesn't make us incapable of being certain about something we feel strongly about. Of that I am sure. Well, kinda.

On that note, I think I better get back to Narnia.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

almost 14 years ago, a friend was so crazy about "narnia chronicles" she said she wanted to by the the complete volume. Huh? and i thought there were only three - the lion, the witchcraft or whatever, and the wardrobe (funny, but this is true. the title was long for me i could not remember even how many times she mentioned it. of course,years later i knew the complete title.. and it's not by jk rowling). She finally bought the cs lewis' collector's item, while i could afford to buy only "the screwtape letters" in paperback edition. fast forward to year 2005, i told my husband i hope there's a children edition of narnia chronicles my children can read (this was before we saw the movie trailer). "What narnia?" (he's more clueless than i was 13 years ago. he he) We're planning a budget trip after the kids' exams, the movie could be it. thanks, beng for the short review.

bijoi said...

waaahhhh hindi ko pa napapanood Narnia. Bummer. hehehe.

Beng said...

Gina, it's not too late to make the trip to Narnia. I can lend my ticket (the book) after another Gina's done with it. :-) Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the movie. It's not as action-paced as LOTR but it's just as memorable.

To Ives, watch it soon! I'm planning to watch it again with some friends this Thursday. I'm still quite excited about it. Don't miss seeing it on the big screen. :-)

Anonymous said...

they say the book-version is always better than the movie one. definitely gona read the book soon. :)

thanks for the promotion, ate beng. i wonder, do you get a commision for promoting the narnia volumes? hehe.

Beng said...

I'm glad I encouraged you to make the trip. Me, with a commission? I wish! :-) But nah, I don't say kind words for money.

Anonymous said...

Everytime I get my hands on a Narnia book (any one of the 7 stories) I suddenly find myself stuck reading it...it's so hard to put it down. That, after being introduced to Narnia more than 10 years ago. Ganda talaga. And I'm amused by that quote by Rabadash, I'll have to find that book (Horse and His Boy, book 3?) to see for myself. Haha. Beng, if you women do change your minds easily, I'm sure we men have a famous weakness as well. It's, well, at the tip of my tongue, but I can't recall exactly what it is...memory lapse...it'll come to me...maybe tomorrow... :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha!! Timing ba yung text ko? Can you consider timing as one of our (guys) traits? that's why you wanted me to read your blog - good thing my mom doesn't surf the web-hehehe I guess i will start to read narnia -- just to see that line :-) that is, after i get my book back -- yup, i've had the book for about 2 years and i haven't read it yet :-)

Beng said...

Ben, memory lapse for guys? Nah. We experience it too! :-) Yeah, read it again (...and again).

JC, I really laughed out loud when I realized our changeability was very apparent (as proven by your text and what I read) that I had to mention it. Read the book. You'll be hooked, I'm sure. :-)