Monday, January 09, 2006

On canned replies and trivial concerns

My bed and the computer are in the middle of a tug of war, pulling me in two opposite directions. One beckons me to sleep off the remaining jetlag in my body; the other draws me to pour what’s percolating in my mind. The fact you’re reading these words gives you a hint who’s pulling harder.

* * * * * * * * * *
Don’t you want to stay in the US for good?
I’ve been asked this question countless times already. By well-meaning friends and just-plain-curious acquaintances. My canned replies sit on the shelf of my mind. I pick the can to open depending on who’s asking and how much time we both could spare. As I tap these keys, I’m considering if I have enough mental energy to open the big can with the label which reads, “the top ten reasons why Beng prefers to stay in the Philippines.” Better not. It’s too late into the night to recover from the possible indigestion.


* * * * * * * * * *
Does God have an automated queuing machine that arranges prayers according to their level of urgency or say, the fervency with which these prayers were uttered? For instance, after I shoot a quick prayer for a lost CD, will that get relegated to the back of the queue because a mother’s plea for a sick daughter just came in? Should we feel embarrassed about coming to God with our trivial concerns? If yes, then which of our concerns are trivial to Him who highlights the sky with brilliant colors in the middle of the day just to make us smile?

* * * * * * * * * * *

The thoughts are coming in trickles now. I guess it’s time I let the bed win.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy new year, beng :-) i hope the can labeled top ten reasons why i want to leave the philippines is in the innermost shelf of the cupboard (i. e., if there's one). welcome back. :-) hey, jun reads your blog. well, i have to remind him to download only the text, 'coz it's 15 cents per kilobyte using GPRS. he browses thru his PDA. Sayang daw, he could not see the photos, so i have to describe the photos in your entry. Read this conversation between jun and his weird boss- boss: jun, what is b-log (he pronounced as beeh lag)? jun: what beeh lag? boss: i saw on internet, b-log. jun: aah, it's blog (blag)! (and the rest is history... he he he.:-) see you soon.

Beng said...

Happy new year too! There's no can with that label (why i want to leave...). I'm happy to be back! So when do we see each other? Next week sana. Wow, your Jun reads my blog?! Good thing that his PDA allows him to surf, I can't. About his conversation with his boss, could you reenact it to me sometime? Funny! :-) See you!

Anonymous said...

Hello Beng, welcome back! We've been praying for my sister's cat for one week now, and he hasn't come back yet. Sometimes I think it's too trivial, but my sister wants the cat back so we're praying. I know God hears our prayers, no matter if we think it's too trivial. :) Good thing you finally let the bed win, otherwise who knows what you'd be asking next. Hehehe!

Beng said...

Hi Ben, so did your sister's cat find his way home? A friend is also praying for her lost dog. I told her the same thing: If it's important to you, then it must be important to God too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sleep is good... get some more sleep... the better to write :- ) jen

Beng said...

That advice has been well taken, as you know. Amazing what enough sleep can do for our mind, spirit and bodies. I wonder if I can outgrow my being nocturnal, or if I want to. haha.