Tuesday, January 24, 2006

In-between days

Right smack in the middle. Of in-between days. This is where I am now.

Do you have any of this kind of days? You’re not particularly happy. No cause for rejoicing. No surprises. You’re coasting along the shores of status quo. On the other hand, you’re also not particularly sad. You've kept your heart safe, and you've done your best to be undisturbed. You've succeeded because most of the time, you are. When you look up the sky, it’s a clear day. There might be no dark rain clouds foreboding a storm but it’s not summer-sunny either.

* * * * * * *

My life seems lighter—literally—now that several inches of my hair have been chopped off. For some time now, I’ve been so used to having long hair that my locks have become my security blanket. But three days ago, I bravely walked inside a salon and let a hairdresser snip it. It’s shorter than I envisioned it to be. Blame it on my affinity with the printed page. While seated on the chair, I spent more time browsing through magazine pages than looking at what the hairdresser was doing. Next thing I know, when I looked up and stared at the mirror, I suddenly felt cold. The security blanket has become a towel. To the hairdresser’s defense, “a little vague” best describes my instructions. He did the best his skilled hands allowed him to do. And to his credit, although many were initially surprised to see me with shorter hair, most of them think it’s a good kind of a change.

It’s common knowledge, or maybe an unspoken fact, that some women do something to their hair to make a silent statement. Statements like “My self-esteem is sliding down and I need a make-over to help me recover,” or “I can’t control most of what’s happening in my life but at least I can control my hair.” Or, “How could that guy break my heart?” Several female friends have cut their hair because they were depressed. Or heartbroken. Or sad. I’ve had my share of these emotion-driven haircuts. And the statements I’ve tried to make with these hair alterations range from the pathetic to the plausible. My statement this time is nothing dramatic. Just this: “Let’s see if I could live without my long hair for the meantime (well, at least for the next two months until it grows technically long again).”

* * * * * * *

During these in-between days, I’m using my time reading. Two posts ago, I told you about a book. Hurray! I’ve finished that book last weekend. Since I am in the C.S. Lewis mode, I’m reading his other books, non-fiction this time. I’m also considering doing the following to redeem the time: dab into some serious writing, go back to playing Badminton, rearrange my room.

I think I better start before the calm waters of my in-between days get stirred again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, in-between days... better than bad hair days. :-) long, short or cropped hair, you're still beautiful beng. i'll still recognize you among the crowd (i.e., as long as i'm wearing my eyeglasses). will this make my name number 2 on you narnia waitlist?hehehe...

Anonymous said...

cut my hair--that's one thing i won't dare to do when im depressed coz im pretty sure (say, 90% sure) that it will only add up to my depression, hehe.

haay ate. monotony sure is among the greatest challenge one has to deal with. buti na lang God surprises us with simple joys everyday. :)

Anonymous said...

Good calm days...good haircut, although shorter than what you expected...finished reading Narnia! Good for you, Beng. Enjoy life!

Beng said...

Hi Gina, with that kind of comment, I'd give you the book. haha! Thanks. I'll check with the other Gina if she doesn't mind borrowing the book a little later. Will get back to you. :-)

Riz, wise thinking! Nope, if you're not ready for a drastic change and the risk of getting more depressed, don't cut your hair under these circumstances. Yes, God surprises us with simple joys. One time I saw the sky, with pink streaks as highlights, and it was enough to make me utter, "Wow, ang galing ni God. Siya may gawa niyan." :-) Pag mababaw ang kaligayahan, mas madaling sumaya.

Hi Ben, thanks. So you've been reading Narnia again? Enjoy life too, and thank God who gives us the capacity to do it.:-)

Jen said...

Hey Beng! I too go through those in-between days... you ask God what is next and when he does show you the next thing on the agenda... voila... i ask God.. can i go back to the in-between days? hehehehe... me and the fickle human kind :-p

Beng said...

I understand how you feel, Jen. :-)

Anonymous said...

"Pag mababaw ang kaligayahan, mas madaling sumaya."

true that. :)

Olive Joy said...

Mere Christianity! If you're into C.S. Lewis, try getting your hands on that one. Gooooood.

Beng said...

Hi Olive, yes, I have a copy. I've read it and am thinking about reading it again soon. :-)