Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Chocolate Chronicles

“So you can’t eat ice cream?”
“No.”
“And you can’t eat chocolates?”
“Nope.”
Gasp! “What kind of life is that?” I smiled and rhetorically asked D whom I spent five days with in our most recent conference. What elicited my shock was her declaration: "I'm allergic to sugar." I enumerated all the sugar-laced food I can think of, leading me to mention ice cream and chocolates. Ice cream, I can manage not to see for a month or two but chocolates. Now, that’s a different story.

On top of my desk is a bank of chocolates that allows me to make daily withdrawals. This bank, in the form of a canister, currently holds the following assets: a mini-Nestle crunch (the last piece from the bag of chocolates my sister gave me), a tiny bar of Hershey’s milk chocolate, generic chocolate bites wrapped in foil, Harry and David’s chocolate almonds, and the chocolate raisins I bought from Toby’s house of nuts last night.

Since I came back from my month-long vacation in the US and reported back to work in January, I have not missed a single workday when I did not eat chocolates. Not one. It’s March already. You do the Math, and figure out how much chocolate has tickled brown my tongue. By the way, did I tell you that I couldn’t donate blood? With the amount of chocolate I’ve ingested, the RBC, the WBC, the hemoglobin and all the other components of blood officially adopted cocoa as one of them and made it the leader of their team. So now my blood type—C (for Chocolates)—wouldn’t match anybody’s.

But I don’t intend to let chocolates rule my life this way anymore. I am declaring Proclamation 0-choco-30. No chocolates for one month. Thirty days, I think, is long enough to convince my brain that this body is not made for and of chocolates. Thirty days can help me clean my palate of the sweet, smooth taste of this brown piece of heaven. With God’s help, I know that I’ll survive the thirty chocolate-less days. In fact, I can’t wait to be free of my addiction that I’ll start not eating chocolates—tomorrow.

As for today, I will seize the day. I have some serious clearing of assets to do.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha!

Your chocolate withdrawal is in time for fasting/Lenten season...

Happy International Women's Day!

Anonymous said...

he,he,he. Beng,I'm seriously thinking of dropping by your office today and assist you with the "clearing of assets". I'll take care of Harry and David, with or without warrants of arrest. Just tell me if you'd lift the proc earlier than 0-30, and i'd send the marines with their LVTP-5 (APC) full of chocnuts.

Enjoy the Wome's Month! (Why declare Fire Prevention Month and Women's Month in the same month - March? Hmmm...)

Jen said...

whew beng! that's might hard... no chocolates? for a month? not even in coffees? or in tiny bitty cakes? How about a drop on a vanilla ice cream? Not even on a suman in choco.nut? hehehehe... sorry for the teasing... happy choco fasting! Hope you'll make it! :- ) I'll treat you after the 30 days! Choco twirl or brownies? hehehe

Beng said...

Hi Karina,

It wasn't intentional--my chocofasting in time for lent! BTW, how come there's no International Men's Day. I suspect these special holidays are concocted by a women's group one time in history. :-)

Hi Gina, thanks for the offer to help clear my assets. As of now, I'm bankrupt! Three of the five kinds of chocolates were just given to me. Sana may magbigay pa rin sa akin after the proclamation is lifted. hehe.
Why women's month and fire prevention month at the same time? Is it because we women have the capacity to set things on fire? Umm, just guessing here. :-)

Jen, all or nothing na ito. No chocolates in any form--cakes, cookies, in sumans etc. I made it on my first day. 29 days to go na lang. :-) Sige, I'll be collecting my reward from you on April 9. Thanks for the support. haha.

Anonymous said...

Gasp, sorry talaga, Beng. Kaya ka pala nag-hesitate when I offered some chocolates...(sorry to everyone for tempting her, I didn't know. I'm glad to say she didn't get one piece.)
Bakit nga ba walang International Men's Day? Dapat holiday yon, so we men can get together and...er..do something manly. Hahaha!

Beng said...

Okay lang, Ben, thanks for the thought, tho. Ayan, natest ang determination ko to go through this. :-) The next time you offer, sana pwede na akong kumuha.

Yeah, men get together and do something like RPG?

bijoi said...

waaaahhh ate beng ice cream tayo paggaling ko! gustong ma-experience ang choco bar!!! ha? ha? Pleeeaaasseee.

Anonymous said...

Loved your bank and the unique form of clearing of assets you ahd to undergo. Wish every type of clearning of assets were that 'tasty'. (un)fortunately I wasnt able to help you clear out your assets. Oh, the joys of chocolate. Their texture and feel as they travel around your mouth and slide down your throat--all of them just like the perfect momentary bites of blissful happiness. Salivating at the thought of it pa lang. But since I have declared a self-imposed fast from chocolates too, I will have to wait another for another time. The only chocolates I eat are on my whole wheat gardenia bun, in the form of crumpy duo or nusica spread. Till we meet again, my beloved chocolate friends. KAYE

merilion said...

hmm. chocolate. =P

will buy you choco revel after your fast, ate beng. hehe. =)

you have to remind me though. double hehe. =P

Beng said...

Hi Ives, sige, pagaling ka muna. Then we'll eat all the ice cream and chocolates we want. :-)

Hi Kaye, your words don't need to be trapped in comment boxes like this. You should be blogging yourself! :-) Glad to know somebody else is not having chocolates other than me, haha, although for a very different reasons.

Hi Butch, wow, a chocolate promise. By the looks of it,lots of chocolates will be waiting for me after this chocofast. I can't wait for it to end! Sige, I will remind you. Thanks in advance. :-)

Unknown said...

Beng, try Xocolat at Megamall or Eastwood! If you're into bitter / dark chocolates, ok dun. But of course, after your 30 day abstinence. :)

Beng said...

Hi Homer, sige, I might try Xocolat. I'll ask the exact location when I could eat chocolates again. I'm on my 9th day pa lang but I'm starting to dream of chocolates already!