Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Dorian Society

Vice-President. That’s the position I’m occupying in this not-so-secret society I and several of my officemates have established (at least in our imagination). We could be holding regular meetings but why bother? We’d probably forget we’re supposed to meet.

Our group’s name, in full, is “The Dorian Society of People Who Regularly Suffer from Temporary Amnesia.” We are naming ourselves as such in honor of a fish, Dory of Finding Nemo, who’ve brought to light the plight of those of us who have this uncanny ability to obliterate details from our consciousness. Details such as you have to take out the key from the ignition before getting out of the vehicle and locking the car (the current president confessed to this). Or that you can stop worrying that your cellphone got stolen because you actually left it at home (the secretary’s case).

Among us bonafide Dorians, we share the same anguish and self-loathing after a particularly frustrating forgetting episode. We all want to knock ourselves in head for forgetting such seemingly consequential things. How could I forget where I left it?!But most of us are making progress. The president told me that he’s installed automatic locking system in his vehicle and trained himself to push the button to lock/unlock. The secretary, I think, is improving as I haven’t heard of any more of the false alarm Oh-no-I-think-I-lost-my-cellphone instances.

So it is with much sadness for me to admit that I might soon be up for the presidency. Today, I’ve had three strikes against me. Strike one, I dial-an-order for pancit from a nearby eatery. The delivery comes. Halfway through our mid-afternoon meal, I discover the sixty pesos from my wallet didn’t make it to the deliverer’s hand (she also forgot to ask it from me). Strike two, I pencil in a piece of paper the subscriber code I needed for a bank transaction tomorrow but then I couldn’t find where I put it (This case too common!). And Strike three, on my way home tonight, I buy an astringent from a small drugstore right next to Ang Barbecue ni Alex (The Pride of Davao) [For a second I wondered if it was the business of somebody I know!]. This time I paid. I gladly handed the storeclerk my payment. So what did I forget? The astringent. Because I was more excited to check out the barbecue I ordered which was grilling at the adjacent store. (But I eventually remembered the astringent, after I got the barbecue.)

Now, unlike some petite women in the Philippines like me, I am not position-hungry. I don't want to be the president of the Dorian society! Forgetful I might be but hopeless I am not. Now, if I could only remember that.


* * * * * * * *
Meanwhile, Jenny's take on forgetfulness, it being a curse yet a gift, is interesting.

12 comments:

Olive Joy said...

sali ako! operado din ito e.

:)

Anonymous said...

how mush is the membership fee? Oh forget it! I might forget to pay anyway.
I gave birth (cesarian) to 3 boys. I sometimes forget their names when i ask them to do something for me. (I call the eldest with the youngest' name, etc.) and they find it funny! Am I qualified to be a Dorian?

Anonymous said...

Loved loved loved this read! I'll be sure not to forget to remember to mention it to you, when we meet. * wink wink *

Much love from the secretary of the-not-so-secret-anymore & rapidly-expanding-society of Dorians.

Beng said...

Olive, nagkaapekto nga after the operation kahit minor lang? May epekto din kaya ang anesthesia kung sa gums lang? haha. Sige, pag nagka Philippine chapter, sasabihin kita.

As for you Gina, I can just imagine why your kids would laugh at you for the names interchange. It must be hilarious if, for example, while reprimanding one of your sons, calling him by another name! Nangyari na ba ito?

Hey Kaye, I haven't seen you yet today. Let's see if you'll remember...But don't worry, I won't take offense if you forget. For what are you a Dorian for? :-)

Drifter said...

Forgetting to remove the key from the door (and GATE! ugh got a major scolding from my landlord!)..forgetting to turn the lights off before leaving for work..(another round of sermons) and, here is the clincher…. Leaving the apartment door open…! Good thing keeping the screen door locked is almost second nature to me but closing the main door is not! Thank God for a (relatively) secure apartment compound.

I am so glad to know that such a society exists! I’d like a membership form, if only for the classy name! Dorian Society pala ha!

Anonymous said...

as for memorising names, i'm definitely a Dory. ;-)

Gypsy said...

If it helps you to know, there are many of us potential Dorian members hidden in the woodwork...Exhibit A: Last January, I rushed to the Davao airport to catch my 7am flight to Manila...only to be told that my flight already left...yesterday! Duh...

Thanks by the way for putting my name in your list thingie.

Will meet up with sometime soon, My Blog Guru! :-)

Beng said...

Hi Drifter, this apartment you are referring to, is this the previous one? Buti nga secure ang compound ninyo! :-)

Dorian Society sounds a bit classy nga. I'll consider having a card made, to give us a semblance of seriousness! Yung president ngayon dito sa office, artist eh! Mapilit ko kaya?! hehe. Soon, we could be card-carrying members. :-) We'll have discounts for memory-enhancing drugs.

Hi Karina, wow, so I should be honored that you haven't forgotten my name. At least during the two times we've met, I didn't notice you fumbling for my name. :-)

Eowyn (secret ba ang real name mo?), YEAH, I remember your airport tale! Grabe, that was an expensive Dorian experience, having to buy another plane ticket! Di bale, at least you have one amusing story to tell. Ngayon, nakakatawa na lang siya but I'm sure, while it was happening, it wasn't.

Let's meet up any weekday kahit after office, wherever there's an internet shop! Pwede rin naman weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I never thought a not-so-secret society exists in the office and is rapidly expanding. Pahingi ng application form!

Beng said...

You would have to tell me first what you've forgotten. :-) Sige, Ruben, I'll give you an application form. That is, if I remember.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Can i apply for muse? your org profile fits me well :)

Beng said...

Hi Riz, I can't believe there's many of us Dorians! As in! Haha. I could borrow Globe's Gentext tag: "Are u 1 of us?" Pero yeah, pwede kang muse! :-)