Sunday, March 05, 2006

Unbloggable

The common apprehension I hear from people who I know would make good bloggers is this: "I don't think I can share personal stuff about myself."

And I tell them, "That's how I felt too." If I had time, and their interest, I would tell them that I once compared blogging to stripping. That is, peeling off layers--but this time, not clothes that cover your body but pieces of armor that protect your heart. With a hundred or so keystrokes, you suddenly become vulnerable. Open to understanding or misinterpretation, admiration or ridicule. Risking to be thought of as wise or foolish.

I have taken eighty-six risks, the number of posts which have appeared on this site. And so far, the risks have worked in my favor. Save for a single post I unposted because I felt it wasn't true anymore, I have not regretted any single article I have written. Yet I have this one regret.

That there are unbloggable topics. That there are still places in my life I could not lead you into to take a peek. That there are still emotions I could not bring myself to share. That I am, still, after a year of "stripping," guarded and careful. The "S" in my middle name should stand for "Safe."

5 comments:

Jen said...

It is necessary... for our survival... and to maintain the mystery :- )

Abaniko said...

Good for you Beng. As for me, I have gone too far in stripping. Glad I'm using a pseudonym and only three true-to-life non-blogging friends know me. Anyway, what matters is not being able to share your life or your sentiments or what not but enjoying the process of writing. Tama ba?

Anonymous said...

I have gone too far in stripping.

As for me, It doesn't bother me that people learn much about me , because my purpose is not to divulge 'risky' information about myself, but how to put my thoughts and my feelings into words.

There are just things that I could not talk by mouth, but are better expressed when I write them.

Anyways, keep on blogging Miss Beng, because I love your posts. Im inspired by them.

Cheers!


PS. Hope to meet you again before my flight back to Davao on the 20th. ;-)

Beng said...

Yes, Jen. I agree. Self-preservation. :-)

Hi A, hanga ako sa tiyaga at pagkamasigasig mo sa pagsusulat.
Of all the bloggers I know, you're the one who writes most often. Blogging serves many purposes, one of them for us to enjoy the process of writing. Sabi nga ni Kris Aquino sa GKNB, "Tama ka." :-) I understand your use of a pseudonym. Self-preservation din. haha. :-)


Hi Karina, "to put my thoughts and feelings into words," sounds like a good reason to blog. Keep at it too, Karina. Thanks for telling me that you're inspired by my posts.
Sige, magkita tayo ulit bago ka pumunta ng Davao. I'll text you. :-)

Beng said...

Good guideline. Yes, I should be brave enough to risk being asked a bit more about whatever I wrote. And the risk to be judged. Hmm, this explains my
generally "safe" posts. :-) BTW, you didn't specify your name. Is this the blindgeekpoet or just one of his links?