Saturday, April 21, 2007

Kitchen Talk

Today has been a kitchen day for me. I woke up earlier than usual (for a weekend) so I could get many things done. My plan was simple: Cook the meals I will try to teach a class how to do in the next couple of days. During our upcoming 3-day company retreat in Laguna, I am tasked to show a dozen or so participants how to wield the kitchen wand. (Actually, I am filling in the shoes of the real kitchen whiz, the wife of an officemate, who begged off when she realized that she’ll do more teaching than cooking.) With my finished products on the refrigerator, I think I can teach them how to make embotido, beef tapa and ham and cheese pimiento spread.

Learning to cook is just like learning any other skill. Motivation is the key. You’d have to want to do it. If I were marooned on an island, I’d be motivated to learn how to make a boat even if I don’t have the slightest interest in acquiring shipbuilding skills. So why did I learn to cook, with no husband egging me to cook his favorite meal or no mother-in-law expecting me to serve her son with lavish meals fit for a king?


My top of the mind answer is my mother. She never had an office job yet she shone in the kitchen. I remember seeing her possessed by the kitchen muse which would account for the delicious food spread on the table several hours after her kitchen confinement. I didn’t know it yet then but now, looking back, maybe that was it: She made me want to be a cook.


No marriage or hope of it prompted me when I first wore the apron many years ago. I was still in college when I would bake snickerdoodles and crinkles which my older sister would then sell to her classmates. I’d stay up most of the night mixing batter and waiting for the oven toaster to signal that my cookies are done. From then on, I graduated to baking cakes and preparing non-pastry treats. Longtime friends, especially those who are frequent visitors, would request specific meals. Carrot cake for Divine, lasagna for Terry. As much as possible, I give in to their requests. Their reward for making it to our house, relatively far from where they live, on my birthday. [I cook on my birthday…and Christmas :) , among many other special days.]


I am saying this to inspire women to try cooking sometime. You don’t have to cram acquiring culinary knowledge two months before your wedding. Try cooking even if Mr. Right hasn’t proposed yet. (And even if he never shows up, there will always be people who can benefit from your cooking.) You are never too young, or too old, to learn how to make a meal. Yes, there are many food products now available in groceries—in cardboard packages, waiting to be microwaved for three minutes. But believe me when I say that there is a certain kind of fulfillment that makes your own cooked food taste better than the most expensive five-star hotel meal.


Just ask Nora Daza. Or better yet, ask my Ma.

5 comments:

Jen said...

i want to bake a cake.. or e ven just a little cookie : - ) one of the things i want to do before i die (sorry for this... hehehe but i really want to learn how to cook. Just no time these days :- )

sarap ng brownies ni Beng!

Beng said...

Do you have an oven at home? Pwede ako home service. Just say when, let's have a cooking session at your house. :)

Gypsy said...

Oh, wow, Beng, you do have lots of surprises up your sleeves! I only know you're a great baker, chef ka rin pala. Wow. I am a willing taster, in case you need one. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

learning to cook has long been in my list of good intentions. i live in a rented room with just a bed, closet, desk and a bedside table so no hope of cooking there. and when i go home to the province for the weekend, i just end up sleeping and pigging out on my mother's cooking! i guess it will have to remain on the list for now.. :)

Beng said...

Hi Jojie, sure. You could be my taste tester. Better nga if there's a kitchen where we could cook para fresh from the kitchen. Yum. X-deal tayo. I'll cook anything you want, just cook me Tom Yum. haha. :)

Hi Rina, good intentions are great. I just hope that someday, one day, you'll finally hold the kitchen wand and discover its magic. ;) Mag start kahit sa mga palaman pa lang. OK na din yun. hehe. Nakakaexcite na rin. Thanks for visiting.