Monday, April 09, 2007

Sister stories

Two women have been the subject of my posts recently so I guess it’s about time I let you meet them. Nang, on the right with short(er) hair, is my soup-sipping eldest sister. On her left is my Goldilocks-cake-loving sister, Rae, who incidentally happens to be the real nurse in the family. I took this picture last April 6, Friday, during the family’s Eat-All-You-Can Japanese lunch.


We three sisters were together the day before, braving the still-chilly air to go to Nang’s plastic surgeon. Her drain tube was about to be taken off. With Nang’s husband Chris at work, Rae drove for her to the hospital. As for me, well, it just felt right to tag along.


At the clinic, my sister’s name was called out while we were in the waiting area. Rae and I wanted to accompany her all the way inside so Rae asked, “Can we come inside too?” Nang answered, “I’m not sure.” I suggested, “Let’s just go for it and wait for them to drive us away.”


No driving away happened when Dr. Borah (who should be grateful the last letter of his surname was an H) saw us. The big doctor with a balding head, amused, simply quipped, “You’ve brought a whole team here.”


Yeah, one’s from Indiana, and the other’s from the Philippines, Nang wanted to answer back. She was expecting the worst, with somebody giving her first-hand information weeks before about how painful the actual removal of the tube felt like. The surgeon, with his skillful hands, immediately went to work. No screaming happened which prompted me to say out loud, “That wasn’t too bad.” In retrospect, I should’ve kept my mouth shut lest the doctor think this petite Filipina was evaluating his performance, he, the chief of plastic surgery at Robert Wood Johnson of all people. No offense, doc. I’m kinda nice in real life, just not always tactful. Going back to the procedure, after ten minutes, we were already on our way out.


Our next stop was at McDonald’s where we had a quick lunch peppered with talks about family, food, and why the honey mustard wrap I ate tasted like it was slathered with nail polish. Then it was time for the sisters’ favorite activity: shopping. But this time, it was controlled (the act of looking and the spending itself) because my eldest sister’s upper body movement was still limited. But you can’t really put a good shopper down—with surgery and all (Rae was already shopping for her daughter’s clothes in the hospital the day after her C-section). Determination, unexplainable strength, love for shopping—what woman doesn’t have these strengths?

* * * * * * * * * * *

I’m already back in the Philippines, still trying to fight off jetlag at the time of this writing. But I brought home more than two heavy checked-in luggages with me. And am I glad that no airport officer can make me surrender this: memories of moments spent with family who should be getting the most costly investment from us—our time.


Sidepost:

Here are pictures of me (taken using a Canon powershot camera and my low-res SE cellphone) with my sisters’ kids: Nang’s Ian and Noah, Rae’s Ethan and Emma. Don't they look adorable? But of course, this Tita is biased. :)



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grabe, what people can do with amazing support groups. I'm glad Nang's back on her feet, and shopping! I'm getting close to understanding the tita in you.. Ruth's older sister gave birth to a big boy two weeks ago, and now her family is pampering the baby wild. I'm starting to feel like a tito, kahit hindi pa "official." :)

Anonymous said...

sister bonding to the max! :) shopping must be truly therapeutic. hehe.

im sure the pamangkins will sorely miss their tita beng.

welcome back, beng!

Beng said...

Hi Ruben, I have a feeling you'll enjoy being a "tito"--with your innate kindness, it'll be a breeze. :) The tendency to spoil these little ones is just too great.

Hi Aleks, shopping (kahit nga window-shopping lang) can help chase the blues away--for most women at least. ;) At least for the Alba sisters, that's true.

I miss my pamangkins already. Ian already misses me. He asked me yesterday, "When are you coming back, Tita Beng?"

Happy to be back, thanks. :)

I believe said...

indeed time deliberately spent for our loved ones is time wisely spent. However difficult each family's circumstances may be, just being there can make some difference. Although, who are we kidding. Our sisters, mothers, fathers, nieces, nephews, etc. they don't need our help. They just need us to be there 100 percent. We don't have to do anything else. That's the comfort of this God-ordained institution called FAMILY. Glad you're back Beng.

Beng said...

HI Ate Jophs. :) What I sometimes do for my family members is nothing compared to what you have been doing for yours. Thanks for dropping by. When do we see each other again? I wish Batangas wasn't too far.

Anonymous said...

Beng,
I finally got wireless connetion in our house so here I am trying to "catch up" with your blog before going to bed. Grabe I did not know you were going to post our picture. sana pumili ka ng maayos ayos. OK lang bumawe naman ako sa mga anak ko.
It was touching to hear your stories.

Rae