Saturday, March 31, 2007

mini-thoughts after my hiatus

thanks to all who have been for praying for my sister. i was telling her, in room 6 of north 6 surgical oncology ward of the robert wood johnson hospital in new brunswick, that of all the patients being operated on last monday, she was the one most drenched in prayers. the next day after the surgery, i was surprised to see her being able to sit up and move her arms a bit. it wasn't really that difficult being her on-call "nurse" at the hospital because all i had to do then was order her food, help her stand up to go to the bathroom, drain the blood being collected from the tube on her surgery site[okay, for the squeamish, that last part might be hard to visualize. sorry.] now while she's home my duties are more varied. aside from the draining, i prepare her in-the-bedroom meals, remind her to take her meds, shampoo her hair [and blowdry it], and watch tv with her--with the last being the easiest task. no sweat, really. :)

* * * * * * * * * *
the number of goods, products and services here in the US is overwhelming. when we go to the grocery, i walk the aisles and see every product imaginable. i turn on the tv and aside from the QTV channel offering things from acne treatment to jewelry, i also see lawyers advertising their services. one in particular ended his spiel with these words: "get all the money you deserve." seriously. oh man, filipino lawyers would have a field day here.
* * * * * * * * * *
i still do some cooking here whenever i get the chance. just this lunchtime, i cooked the leftover crabs from yesterday and turned it into an crab/red pepper omelette. what i'm missing is baking though. you don't need to go to a bakeshop to buy cakes here. so there's really not much motivation to make one from scratch. what about fish? you can't see fish with their eyes on here. [well, technically, most fish on the frozen meat section are fillets, so what they're actually missing are the heads]. crazy what i notice.
the people? most people here are nice. especially those who might feel you need them to be extra clear about what they're saying lest you don't understand english. "No ingrish.me japanese.moshi-moshi," but they won't buy it. my eyes aren't chinky enough.

6 comments:

Gypsy said...

Beng! Please dont mention baking! Nami-miss ko naman brownie mo. Huhu. ;) By the way, I think I can get away with that "No ingrish" bit. ;)

Anonymous said...

happy to know that nang's surgery went well :) PTL!

Anonymous said...

thankfully, you're an all-around sister: sitter, cook, care-giver, nurse, shampooer..uh..TV watcher! Yun lang, no baking? Dito na lang, pag-uwi mo. :)

Beng said...

Hi Gypsy, I'll make sure you taste some of my brownies when I get back home. :) Yeah, you can easily pass for a Japanese. Or a Singaporean. Or maybe Chinese. Is that good or bad?

Hi Aleks, thanks for the prayers and sharing in my happiness over my sister's recovery.

Hi Ruben, I really like the TV-watching part. I didn't realize I'd even enjoy watching a tennis match on TV. :) Yeah, dyan na lang ako bawi sa baking pag-uwi ko. Pag wala nang jetlag.

Swipe said...

For a second there, you sounded like you took up a second career as a convalescent nurse.

Beng said...

Hi Swipe, sorry late reply sa comment mo. Just trying hard to be one. :) It's amazing what people can be prompted to do when the situation calls for it. Pwede rin akong beautician--I cut my Ma's hair while I was there. hehe.