Friday, March 23, 2007

Not about me

My eldest sister will be undergoing surgery three days from now. At this very moment, she's in the other room, working from home with her laptop. An applications manager of a leading investment firm, she has always been an achiever. Always with a good head above her shoulders.

Friends who know about her condition would ask me how she is, and I always say, "She's doing OK. If you look at her, you wouldn't think she's sick." Even I am amazed at the normalcy she's exhibiting. Of course, the thought of the surgery is probably looming in her head but I don't notice that it bothers her. Yes, sometimes, offhand she'd quip that she's a little nervous but that's just about it. No crying spells, no staring in space.

She's the reason I'm here in the US. Last year, when she was diagnosed with cancer, I offered to fly here and be her children's nanny-slash-cook-slash-nurse if and when she goes through the surgery. This year, she took my offer. In no way I am trained medically but I have done my share of taking-care. In fact, I've been in two ambulance rides already, as a companion to the patients, and by God's grace, I still managed to think straight then. But stop, this is not about me.

Going back to my sister, her name is Nang, and many people are praying for her. In another state, an American author who hasn't even met her tells me they're praying for her. In another country--the Philippines--dozens more are praying. Thank you. You just don't know what this means to me, and her.

This woman is teaching me how to trust God unreservedly, to see the silver lining in the clouds, to be brave enough to learn everything about the enemy. Her faith did not waver in this health crisis and did not doubt for a second that God is good.

Some people can display courage and faith that seem larger than life. Yes, it's true. And this is not about me.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's teaching all of us how to trust God unreservedly. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Beng,
Great to hear your voice live from N.J. today! I'll be praying for your sister Nang's surgery on Monday, and for grace and strength for you as you nanny-slash-cook.
Dawn

Swipe said...

And I thought you were there just to look at grand central station again.

I hope and pray your sister gets through the surgery.

Anonymous said...

hang in there, beng... praying for nang and ur caretaking duties.

Drifter said...

I never knew your sister but from your stories, she is a toughie.. Know that I am one of those joining you in prayer.

Grace D. Chong said...

Count me in. I join you and the others in a prayer circle for your sister Nang.

Anonymous said...

hi beng,

i will keep your sister and your whole family in my prayers.i'll ask my group (in jakarta - but i am pinoy) to pray for her and the whole family as well.i am a silent reader of your blog, although i sent a message once.

god bless!

dong

Abaniko said...

Hello Beng. I join everyone in praying for your sister. Be strong for her.

Beng said...

Imagine how she's touching people she hasn't even met. :) Thanks for being a great encourager, Ben.

Hi Dawn, it was great to hear your sweet voice too! And to know about the good news--you're gonna be a MOM! Thanks for the prayers. :)

Hi Swipe, you saw the Grand Central post! I'm still thinking if I'm going to repost it. Thanks for the prayers. So at least there's one person from another continent praying for my sis. Heaven's gonna be bombarded from all sides. ;)

Hi Drifter, I'll have more stories for you when I return home. Thanks for praying. See you in two weeks. :)

Hi Aleks, thanks for praying. You've known about her condition since the first time I knew about it (remember that how-are-you-i'm-sad-conversation?). As for my caretaking duties, hmm, gudlak na lang sa kin. ;)

Dear Ate Grace, thanks for joining the circle of my praying friends. I appreciate it very much. :)

Hi Dong, wow, a praying friend from another country. :) Salamat, Dong. You should start your own blog so I could return the visit.

Hi Abaniko, thanks ha. I appreciate the prayers. By God's grace, I'm trying my best to be strong for her. I just hope I do a good job being her "nurse." :)

Jen said...

Hey Beng. Add me to the prayer list... say hi to Nang from me. It seems like I know her already. :- ) Take care sis. Miss yah! No need to say goodluck sa caretaking duties... you have the gift :- )

bijoi said...

hey ate beng, How are you? did you get my messages? :) Praying for you and your family.

Beng said...

Hi Jen, thanks for adding yourself to my prayer friends. Tell me the exact date of your lasik when it's determined already. :)

Hi Ives, thanks for the prayers. Yup, got your message. I YMed you too. :)

Anonymous said...

here's me, praying too for your sis. keep the faith, she will be well. =)

Gypsy said...

Your sister is an inspiration. Be praying for her...Take care!

Swipe said...

yeah. it's still actually on my bloglines.

zherwin said...

hi beng, i can see my sister in you as she's also very strong, as i am in manila and they're in the province, she takes care of our dad when he suffered from a stroke (dad is doing okey now) and attended to my mom when she had an operation early this year.

i salute all strong women and pray that all of you be safe and blessed.

Beng said...

Karina, thanks for the prayers--all the way from davao. :)

Hi Gypsy, i'll tell her you think she's an inspiration. maybe ask her to check out my blog soon.

Hi Swipe, thanks for the thought. you've got an exciting life there down under ha. updated ako.

Hi Zherwin, wonder how you found this blog. salamat. yes, you must really have a strong sister. hope that even while you're away from your family, you'll be assured of God's care for each of you. :)