Wednesday, March 07, 2007

alive

"Doesn't anything throw you off? Do you ever get mad at something or someone? Are you living in a perpetually happy place where rainbows dot the landscape and everywhere you turn there's a pot of gold waiting to be discovered? "

"Yes," I wish I could say yes.


Life.is.hard. And sometimes this truth slams in your face when you least expect the reminder, that Earth is not Disneyland. Your tear ducts get an unplanned workout. You get dehydrated by crying. You think yourself to death wondering what went wrong--where you made that misstep, how you can retrace your way back to the safe life.

Yet pain reminds us that we are still alive. For instance, when I bump my leg on the edge of a table, my muscles throb, my skin bruises. I'm suddenly aware of this particular part of my body. My brain reprimands me to be more careful and watch where I'm going. No corpse experiences the sensation of pain, for good reason.

Alive--I am alive now as ever before. My heart is tender, my soul is fragile. The tears come easily, and it's like there's a switch that instantly flips to on at the first sign of fear or distress, and opens the dam of tears. Yet more than any time in my life, I can say that this is a good time. Anytime I am confronted by my weakness and neediness should be celebrated. Because it's starting to get clearer and clearer to me--I can't survive life, in all its unpredictability, with all its complexities, on my own. I can't ask God to take a leave while I manage His post for a while. I need Him.

Like fish needs water.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true. It's still when we realize we are really weak, do we get a fresh sense of the strength and majesty of the Lord. In all things, even crying moments, God really does work for our good.

Chocolates are good companions during crying moments. Hehe, irresistible talaga. :)

Beng said...

"In all things, even crying moments, God really does work for our good."--beautifully said, Ben. I'm still waiting to see how God will work things out for good but I'm trusting that He will. :)

Anonymous said...

Amen :) Pain is good when it draws us closer to God. But I'm glad u aren't crying anymore - or are u still? :)

Beng said...

Only one more time after "that night." Now, no more tears. I wish next time I'll cry it'll be for a different reason na--like overwhelming happiness. :)
Hey Aleks, thanks.

shing said...

hey ms beng. i just dropped by, im a friend of nechie's. anyway, i can totally relate. been into a crying tirade for more than 6 mos, going to work in shades and all...but it was during those sordid months that, as i now recall, i felt closest to the Father. :)