Tuesday, February 27, 2007

on faith and little children

When did we cross the line from complete freedom of action to self-consciousness? When did what people say about us start to matter and we had to convince them we are a hairline away from being omniscient and omnipotent? When did we learn to hide behind the niceties of language and mask our true feelings?


And why does the thought of kids making me ask these questions?

When I’m with my nephews in a public place and I stray away from their sight—whether it’s five seconds or five minutes—there’s a good chance I will hear my name shouted, in the same way, say, a panicking woman in the outskirts of Tondo facing a towering inferno would scream, “SUUUNOG!” Just last week, we were at SM and the two boys were with their mother in the giftwrapping section at the 1st level. I notified my sis-in-law that I had to go find something at the 2nd level. Midway through the escalator, I heard my name as if it was being announced through the public address system: “TITTTA BENNNNG!” From the moving stairs, I saw two small creatures near the 1st level counter waving excitedly to me as if we weren’t together two minutes ago. How could one person be touched and mortified at the same time? Believe me, it’s possible. Case in point: Me.


This scenario gets played out in other settings: the grocery, at church, video shop—name it, they did the name-shouting exercise, only in varying decibels in the different instances. I am learning my lesson: Stay as close to them as possible in public if I don’t want everybody to know who the missing aunt is.


But after my lapse of momentary embarrassment, the truth is I don’t really mind at all. Because kids are devoid of self-consciousness. And they usually mean no harm (usually being the operative word here). In general, little children simply just say whatever is on their minds, and do what they feel like doing. Sure, they need discipline but I think 60% of the time, they're really just being kids. When I'm outside and see mothers shaking their kids to coerce “respectable behavior” even if what all their kids do are harmless forms of fun, I feel like shaking their mothers back and saying, “They’re kids. They won’t be forever kids so let them act their age.”


Honest and needy. Vulnerable and trusting. Little children know they can’t survive on their own so they ask for help. For you to open the can of sausage. Cook their favorite noodles. Buy their snack. Tie their shoelaces. Comb their hair. Count their coins. Read the label. Stay close by when they feel afraid. No pretense of self-sufficiency. No apologies for dependence.


Maybe that’s the reason why Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it” (Mk 10:14-15).


For who else but the most trusting of little children could best show us what it means to be needy and come to God by faith, expecting not to be turned away but welcomed in all His grace?

6 comments:

Gypsy said...

Wow, Beng, na-ESP mo ako. I was JUST thinking along the same lines this morning, you know, about kids and their trusting nature..Thank God for surrounding as with kids to remind us of how He wants us to be with Him.

Beng said...

Hi Jojie,
Really, you thought about the same thing?! So write about it. Show us your take on children's helplessness and faith. :)
It's amazing what big things small children can teach us.
Yes, I thank God for the reminder, even behind my nephews' kakulitan. :)

Anonymous said...

even Jesus when He was here on earth loved the children. remember that part of the Gospel when he was surrounded by little children? He let them stay with Him.

oh children, their innocence is a joy to savor!

Anonymous said...

Yes, kids - whether our children, niece, nephews, apos, inaanaks - are God's gift to us. Just saw my inaanak last night. :) had a late dinner with their family and other old friends.

Olive Joy said...

TITAAAA BEEEEENGGG!

hahaha. that's the sweetest thing to hear isn't it, a child yelling your name. regardless of the reason ha, kahit nangungulit lang o napipikon na.

Beng said...

Hi Sexy Mom.

Yes, I agree! There's this old children's song I remember:
"Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight..."

Compared to you, with the blessing of having 7 kids, my experiences with my nephews are nothing. :)Thanks for visiting. Nice blog you got there too.

Hi Ben,

I'm waiting for the time when you'd have kids yourself. With your kind and caring nature, I'm sure you'll make a great dad. ;) I'd be celebrating with you and Ruth.

Hi Olive,

You're also "Tita Olive," though not yet officially (through your brothers--God forbid, not yet1:) ), I think you play the role quite well. You even get notes.

Yes, the klds calling out your name is music to the ears. ;) I hope I'll feel this way for a long, long time. :)