Thursday, February 08, 2007

fish tale

I was ready today. But no, of all the days when I am finally deciding on it, my desire for it was dashed by seven words from the other person on the line when I dialed 8-7000:


"Ay, sorry Ma'am, wala na po yun." (Sorry Ma'am, we don't have it anymore.)

"Ha? Ngayon pa na gusto ko na siya." (What? Now that I decided I wanted it.)

To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

I am talking about Jollibee's crispy bangus belly with rice. Almost every time I eat at the fastfood, or we order at the office, this meal comes to mind. I've always wondered how it tasted and now, of all days, when I am finally ready,

No more. Nada. Zilch.

My fault, really, because I took it for granted. Who would have thought that the great smiling Bee would take it off its list? I should have thought more and remembered the short but stellar reign of another meal, The Honey Beef Rice (which I enjoyed so much before it was it was taken off the menu. From the grapevine I heard that some people developed allergies to it.)

Here's another true-to-life lesson underscoring the importance of holding on to life's opportunities tenaciously. Of not eternally stacking your desires and wishes—especially those you have control over—in the invisible yet real before-I-die-I-will-do-this pile.

Life is too short for us to be in a perpetual party of regret. Mark my words: The next time I see something I want, I will grasp it with both hands and not let go. The moment I hear the first strains of the music, I will dance.

If a big fish can make Jonah realize something profound, then why not a fried fish belly have a similar moving effect on me? :) Carpe diem.

Breaking News (as of Feb.9,2007): A very reliable source told me that this dish will soon make a momentary comeback. Clearly, the heavens decided to give me another chance. Now, let's just wait till the Philippines is in a holy mood to celebrate with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe, I ignored the crispy bangus meal of Jollibee. I did not know they took it off the list. Hope you catch it next time! Yes, some or most opportunities are worth grasping the first time because we can't tell if we'll get a second chance at them.

Beng said...

Whether I end up liking it or not, I'll surely try that meal next time it's offered. :) Yup, second chances are not universally given to every situation. I'm learning...thanks, Ben

Gypsy said...

I hope the bangus dish will meet your expectations..:) I had many a disappointment with the Bee of late--the last time I enjoyed anything from their menu was a few years ago with their Honey Beef Rice and the Braised Chicken Rice Toppings...wish they would bring THOSE two back.

Swipe said...

I miss Chowking! :-D

There are lots of Chinese fastfood restaurants but nothing is quite the same as Chowking.

Beng said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beng said...

Hi Gypsy, you liked the Honey Beef rice too?! Si Ate Yna din eh. Wala na nga akong masyadong expectations sa crispy bangus. I just want to try it. At least it would end my wondering how it tastes like.
About bring the other dishes back to the menu, maybe I could tell my friend who once worked at Jollibee. :)

Hi Swipe, yeah, I know you like Chowking. I think you mentioned it a couple of times before in your blog. Did you know that Chowking was already brought by Jollibee? My US-based sister also likes Chowking. I like eating there too, whenever I get the chance. :) Hurry home soon and have a bowl of their halo-halo. There's nothing quite like it.