Sunday, February 25, 2007

slice of heaven

“I haven’t told Nang yet but that’s what I want for my birthday.”

That, incidentally, refers to the ubiquitous cake that has become a staple fare in any middle-class Filipino celebration. And the hopeful wisher for the cake is Rae, another older sister, also based in the US, a nurse, and a mother of two.

I talked to her just recently. Most of our conversation revolved around her two kids, the eldest of which, Ethan, can say in his cute way, “I love chicharon.” Rae told me this US-born toddler has very pinoy tastebuds. He eats whatever his dad eats. Boy Bawang, beef jerky—only time will tell what else. Did I tell you he’s just about to turn three?

Going back to the sis, I don’t get to talk to her much but when I do, we almost always erupt into laughter. Here’s a partial transcript of our exchange:

“Bili mo ako ng lucky me pancit canton, yung maliit.”

“Magkano ba diyan yun?”

“Mga 3 for 1 dollar.”

“Okay na yun. Isipin mo dadalhin ko pa diyan.”

“Ah alam ko na. Ang gusto ko talaga Goldilocks cake eh. Gusto ko pagdating kina Nang, yun ang kakainin ko.”

“Ha? Meron bang Goldilocks sa New Jersey?”

“Wala. Eh baka pwede niyang orderin.”

“Sinabi mo na ba sa kanya na yun ang gusto mo?”

“Hindi pa.”

“Ano bang flavor gusto mo, try kong aralin gawin.”

“Ayoko! Siyempre iba ang lasa nun. Iba ang ingredients diyan kaysa dito.”

“Eh di magdadala ako ng ingredients diyan. Sige na, sabihin mo. Titikman ko dito, aaralin kong gawin.”

“Ah basta gusto ko Goldilocks cake. Gusto ko yung nasa BOX ng Goldilocks.”

“Magdadala ako ng box!”


Nobody won in our verbal tug-of-war but the phone company who was made richer by the many seconds we wasted on the long distance call just laughing.


In the end I wasn’t able to convince my dear sister that I was serious about baking her a cake because she doesn’t want any other cake. Maybe it’s the taste of the familiar she is craving for. The taste of home. Of her days as a nursing student at Makati med. Of her medrep days for Wyeth. Even if by some miracle I could bake a cake that tastes just as good as Goldilocks, or even better, it still wouldn’t be enough. Because nowhere could I buy an ingredient packaged in a box labelled memories.


I promised to go to Goldilocks and ask how long the shelf life for their cakes is. She said she could settle for a half-roll of chocolate and mocha. I’m not sure yet how I could protect them from getting crushed in my luggage. But then again, there’s no way the boxes of rolls will be checked in.


Next time I'll eat a Goldilocks cake, I think I'll have a better appreciation for it. Because somewhere across the globe, a Pinay needs no diamong ring, no fancy car, no expensive clothes to make her happy. Just a slice of an all-too familiar cake will do.


Postscript: I found a Goldilocks website that serves online orders in the US. There's a 99% chance my sister is getting her birthday wish. Now I think it's a good thing she doesn't check out this blog often. Or else, I'll spoil it for her. The surprise, not the cake. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beng,

I saw this post already last week and then it disappeared. Glad to see it that you have put it back..I actually checked out the website too..However, they don't deliver all of their products (i.e. specialty cakes for obvious reasons..). But I guess Rae would be more than happy to eat any Goldilocks cake (-: See you soon..

ruben said...

wow, that's nice, goldilocks that serve around the world! I'm sure your sis will enjoy that. Imagine the surprise on her face... :)

Beng said...

Hi Nang,

I unposted it then edited it to include some other info. We could order the rolls sampler. Kahit walang icing, grabe, I'm sure matutuwa dun si Rae.
I'm counting the days till I fly there. See you soon too. :)

Hi Ben

Yup, I love surprising people. hehe. The good kind of surprise ha. :)

Anonymous said...

im sure if u tried u could give goldilocks a run for their money ;) (brownies naman dyan! hehe)

i notice that ur recent posts have all been about food. hmmm... :P

Beng said...

Hi Aleks,
Oo nga, I noticed that too (the food-themed posts). Completely unintentional. :) Maybe I should seriously consider making a food blog--all things food [I can cook, I like to eat, I hate. haha :)]

Anonymous said...

and here in manila, goldilocks abound in almost every mall, even consigned in supermarkets. goldilocks must have always reminded you of home.