Thursday, February 22, 2007

cold spaghetti on a cluttered desk

What do you get when you eat cold spaghetti on top of a cluttered desk?

A break.

This mid-afternoon snack is punctuating an otherwise frantic and mentally challenging day. The noodles said goodbye to firmness, the meat sauce coagulated already, thanks to its stay inside the ref (said spaghetti was supposed to be my lunch yesterday). With a forkful of the stale pasta, I think of another meal I could have, maybe in a faraway beach somewhere. There, my newly-cooked pasta is served with a tall glass of juice, the kind with a decorative but completely useless tiny umbrella on top. I could be holding a book, with earphones plugged in my ear playing my favorite songs.

But I'm not there. Instead, the music I hear comes blaring from a generic speaker that came with my office pc, but it's music nonetheless. Michael W. Smith is singing for me, "This is my daily bread...And I'm desperate for You...."

Cold spaghetti on a cluttered desk. That's all I have now. Yes, things could be better but I'm not complaining. Because when I start thinking of what I don't have, I might miss out on enjoying what's in front of me—what I can feel, see, hear, touch, taste.


And I thank God. Because even the capacity to enjoy things, imperfect as these might seem, also comes from Him. The garden is not always abloom with beautiful flowers. Life does not always follow the script you have in mind. Sometimes you get the flu that renders you humorless and lethargic.


The taste of cold spaghetti might not be enough to fill a hungry stomach but the assurance of God’s love, with His mercies fresh every morning, is more than enough to fill a hungry soul. With that remembrance from Above, even the stale and day-old pasta can taste like the most delicious meal in the world.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was in the process of making a post when your comment came up..thanks for visiting!

at buti nga ikaw spaghetti.. ako lucky me pancit canton, he he. but you're right, no matter what, it's still all about God's grace in our lives

Gypsy said...

You should try cold pizza, one of my favorite breakfast meals--hehe.

Beng said...

Hi Rina,
Thanks for visiting too. Most of the time it's not what's on our plate. It's who the blessing is From. :)

Hi Gypsy,
I think I tried cold pizza once or twice. I barely tasted the toppings because it was cold. hehe.:)

Anonymous said...

hi beng,

my name is olive, from cebu. just to let know i've been stalking your blog for quite some time now.

every time, i'm always blessed and am learning something new. thanks and please keep blogging.

i wanted to post a comment, but our PC at work won't allow me to do so. i guess, for security reason.

GOD BLESS!

Beng said...

Hi Olive,

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate it. And I'm happy to know you are blessed by some of my ordinary experiences and thoughts. :)

Why not start a blog too? You might find it an enjoyable experience and then people can learn something from you too. :)

God bless you too.

PS: I like Cebu.

Unknown said...

cold spaghetti? eeewww. i won't even touch a newly cooked one.

but after reading your nicely worded and spiritually convicting 'essay', i 'almost' felt guilty. :)

nicely written beng. you make cold spaghetti more appetizing now.

Beng said...

Somebody who doesn't eat spaghetti? Iba ka, Homer. :) So what do you eat, pansit? (o di ba, rhyme?)

Thanks for the affirmation. I appreciate it. Cold spaghetti, my occasional ho-hum days--God gives me the grace to endure them all. :)