Friday, February 02, 2007

nanny duty

Yesterday I clocked out of work on the dot. A more pressing matter was waiting for me at home. Two words: Nanny duty.

But before I boarded the south-bound bus, I swung by 7-11 to buy microwaveable popcorn, the only food specifically requested by one of my wards. Last night was "movie" night and I needed the popcorn to complete the moviehouse effect.

Pong, 6, and Robyn, 4, excitedly greeted me the moment I stepped into the room. By instinct, Pong collects the DVDs for last night’s showing: Chicken Little, Mr Bean, and Justice League.

If you haven't tried watching TV or a movie with kids, you should try it sometime. The entertainment value is upped not by what's on screen but by the reaction of the little creatures beside you who will infect you with their excitement. Pong saw something that made him laugh hard and insisted that I see it. He rewinds the part where a monster-enemy of Justice League spits fire. I didn’t quite get what was amusing about it but I laughed anyway.


Approaching the second hour of my duty, I asked permission from them if I could close my eyes for a while (the three of us were cramped in their parents' bed). Just when I was starting to doze off, Robyn signaled to his brother to tickle me, and thus the source of their delight was transferred from the laptop screen to their helpless half-asleep aunt startled by tiny fingers on her back. The next time I tried to steal a nap, a feather duster was brushed over my neck seconds after I closed my eyes.

I wave the white flag in surrender. No nanny can sleep with two precocious boys on her watch. Boys, in general, are probably harder to entertain than girls. For the next hour or so, they wrestled and I refereed. They played Chuzzle and Zuma and I coached. They worked on their coloring books and I gushed.

Last night I hit the bed with a sense of satisfaction for a job well done. No, not for the nine hours I logged in at work editing books. More for the three-and-a-half hours I spent keeping my two nephews entertained. I might not have been paid a single cent but I won’t hesitate on saying it’s one of the best jobs in the world.

6 comments:

Gypsy said...

Wow, Beng, hats off to you! 3.5 hours with two active boys! That's how you earn a really good night's sleep. :)

sillyserious said...

and the Super Tita award goes to... *drum rolls*... Tita Beng! :)

Abaniko said...

I you go along well with boys, I predict you'd be an excellent mother. :D

Beng said...

Hi Gypsy, caring for active boys is the cure for insomnia. :p haha. Yup, I had a good night's sleep that night.

Sillyserious, now I'm wishing I had a trophy I could display on my desk and brag about. ;)

Hi Abaniko, was that a fearless forecast? :) It's good to have lots of practice with kids while I'm still single. ;)

Anonymous said...

i have had my fill, with 4 sons and 3 daughters - what joy! but still, i love it when my eldest son, j angelo, brings his 2 kids to the house. their bubbly fun and laughter are therapeutic.

Beng said...

Dear sexy mom, what a full and exciting life you must be living. :) They say having kids is like allowing your heart to run outside your body. Now, in your case, multiply the joy 7 times! Yes, I agree. kids can easily take stress away--what with their innocent remarks and contagious energy.