Friday, March 09, 2007

friendly fat detectors

I run into him every now and then. At the hallway, near the employee's entrance, in the bookstore. And just by the way he looks at me, I can sense how I'm tipping the [weighing] scale.

More than a few times already, he has verbalized his disappointment. Just this week, while I was walking towards a palette in our bookstore, he emerges from the door of the Sales department. For one split second our eyes lock. And then I get the look. He's not smiling. There goes my cue to confirm my worst fears:

"Why you looking at me like that, Kuya Jo? I'm getting fat?"

This fortysomething father of three doesn't even pause for a second to feign politeness. He answers, complete with a playful nod, "Yes, Beng. You better..." and then wags his index finger at me, as if warning me that the world is about to end.

I let out a laugh, not a bit hurt. Alarmed, maybe, but not hurt.

There are officemates who act as my fat detectors. They tell me if I'm getting fat or I'm getting thin, if I look fresh or harassed. But not one of them has actually pulled me to a corner and has given me a detailed lecture on the virtues of effective weight management. All most of them do is engage in light-hearted banters with me. No offense is ever taken. While Americans talk about the weather, we Filipinos talk about weight. Funny how we greet another whom we haven't seen in a while: "Uy, parang tumaba/pumayat ka ah!" Say that to a British and you'll be committing a faux pas that will make even your dog blush.

We Filipinos can take it. Just today I overheard a conversation between an old man and a middle-aged woman, former officemates: "Uy, parang tumaba ka nang konti ah," he comments to her. "Naku, Kuya, di lang konti. Madami!" she answers with a smile on her face. Score 1 for total honesty.

As for me, when I get an in-my-face-weight-reading I think:
What do I need a weighing scale for? I can get free head-to-toe evaluation just by walking around the four floors of our office. Amusing, really. I love my officemates.

I'm never trading any of my friendly fat detectors for the high-priced talking weighing scales peddled in stores. For with the latter, I couldn't talk back and argue my case. With the former, I can smile my way to thinness.

11 comments:

Abaniko said...

You're one of the very few women I know who don't take offense when told you're getting fat. :D

Gypsy said...

Bilib ako sa yo, Beng. Poise and gracious pa rin whatever happens.:)

Swipe said...

I think it's just that Filipinos look at gaining a little weight as a sign of well being and prosperity but if you do get a little too fat, we're pretty much the first ones to say that that person should watch it and start exercising.

Anonymous said...

hmmm... i didn't notice at all. maybe it's kuya jojo who needs glasses? hehe. on my birthday he texted me: "to the chinese guy with the chinese pimples..." hahaha! i replied: "to the old man with the old-man hair..."

ya, the officemates are fat, er, fun :)

bijoi said...

hahaha."While Americans talk about the weather, we Filipinos talk about weight." soooo true. don't worry ate beng, pramis kahit tumaba ka hindi ko hahawakan tyan mo :D

Beng said...

Hi Abaniko, thanks.:) Now that you mentioned it, o nga di nga ako naooffend with these comments. Di naman kasi ako nilalait. ;) If I feel I'm getting heavier (and realize people are starting to notice), I immediately cut down on my food intake.

Hi Gypsy, naks, poised and gracious? Sana nga!I hope that God continues to help me maintain this attitude when I get constructive criticisms.

Hi Swipe, yeah, I think this is a Filipino way of thinking, that the amount of body fat is directly proportional to the amount of money in the wallet. ;) May sense din naman, in a way. / Only true friends would risk stating what needs to be said. :)

Hi sillyserious, wow, not noticeable pa? I'll take your word for it, reliable ka naman (besides, you see me more often than Kuya Jo does). ;) Your text exchange with him made me laugh. :D

Hi Bijoi, oo wag mo hawakan tiyan ko--tumaba man ako o hindi. Malakas kiliti ko. haha.:D

Anonymous said...

ate beng, i must say i can easily relate with this post. I have been receiving the weight comments almost daily. with officemates like kuya jo, who needs a weighing scale? ehehe =)

Anonymous said...

gaak, sometimes i feel that the whole world is my fat detector. i wrote a blog post about it nga a while back, pero rant post sya, not like yours, he he. kakairita na kasi kung minsan, especially when you know they're just telling the truth! :)

Anonymous said...

good for you miss beng. for me, i hate it when the only thing people could notice at me is my weight, tapos yong nagcomment, hindi naman sexy, pangit naman. kainis! ;p

Beng said...

Hi Daph, so di pala ako nag-iisa! :) Let's just take this as a compliment, how our kuyas are concerned about us so much that even extends to our figures. hehe. Yeah, weighing scale not needed.

Hi Rina, I guess this really is a female thing! Not a lot of men would bother making a big issue out of their weight. Tama ka, most of the time, the "miron" of our lives just think it's worth their energy to tell us the "truth", even if it hurts. :) But they can be appreciative too din naman when you achieve your goal. I'm going to check out your post.

Hi Kars, there's more to you that what meets the eye, and if only people knew what they're actually missing. I'm sure yung mga nagcomment feeling nila mas gaganda ka with the a few pounds less. ;) Hayaan mo na kung di sila masyado "credible." hehe.

Gypsy said...

Beng,
Constructive criticism pala tawag nun! Hehe,as I said, gracious ka talaga. Which reminds me, I saw a bumper sticker once, it says:
"I'M FAT, YOU'RE UGLY AND I CAN ALWAYS LOSE WEIGHT." Hehe.

HAPPY TRIP!!!!