Sunday, August 07, 2005

Freezing Ice Candy, Learning Patience


How long does it take for a tube of ice candy to harden in the freezer? Tell me please because for the past ten minutes, my nephew Pong has been asking me if he can have one.

"Tita Beng, pwede na?"
"Hindi pa."
(Pong, whining) "Pwede na. Tingin ako."

I lead him towards the refrigerator and take a tube out of the freezer. I tell him it’s still juice and that we have to wait a little longer. The four-year-old, three-foot fellow squeezes the tube, finally believes me and goes up their room. Meanwhile, while I am trying to surf the internet, he comes down the stairs, almost every two minutes, to ask me:

“Tita Beng, gusto ko ng ice candy. Pwede na?”

I laugh out loud. Can I blame my persistent nephew? He is still mastering his ABCs and there’s no way he will understand the concept of freezing point, of how it takes time before liquid turns into solid. Besides, even if by some stroke of genius his brain allows him to understand, will I be able to explain it to him? I’d rather coach him on writing an essay detailing the link between ice candy and world peace. It’ll be quite a stretch, I know, but hey, I can try. I’ll find that easier than explaining how the movement of molecules causes the change of a matter’s state.

Going back to Pong, I realize he is starting to exhibit the inherent male quality of having a focused mind. The conqueror in him has been awakened. He has a goal (the ice candy
) but its fulfillment is not yet within reach. Nevertheless, that doesn’t stop him from channeling every ounce of his mental energy thinking about a tube filled with flavored liquid in the freezer. He wants his orange-colored ice candy NOW. I hear heavy footsteps. . .

“Tita Beng, okay na ba?”
Hindi pa. Tatawagin na lang kita.”
Okay.”

I’m making progress here. At least he’s starting to take my word for it and doesn’t feel the need to touch the ice candy himself. Ah, my nephew is displaying faith. Learning patience.

While I’m checking in on his ice candy, I’m considering giving him some words of wisdom. “It's not always easy to wait for something but if it means so much to you, it will be worth the wait. Trust me. God is teaching me the same.”

* * * * * * * * * * *
Epilogue: Pong didn't have to wait until the next morning to enjoy his much-coveted treat. Shortly after I finished writing this post, the ice candies were ready and I gave him and his brother a piece each. And since I did my own waiting on it too, I figured I also deserved one, a red one, as my prize. Just in case you're wondering, let me confirm, "Yes, it was worth the wait."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

bakit nga ba makulit ang mga kids?

Beng said...

Ewan ko ba. Pero okay lang naman. Nakakatuwa nga sila eh. Most of the time, enjoy sila kausap. Pag may gusto lang talaga, grabe. Di mapakali hangga't di nakukuha.

Anonymous said...

I thought Ian's impatience is from his dad's genes. Looks like its an 'Alba' trait (-: or it's a guy thing (-:
Btw, tell Pong, his older 'insan (Ian) says hello.

Anonymous said...

I just noticed, what happened to your web-fyling dove(s)?

Beng said...

Hi Nang. Nah, I think it's a guy thing. :-) How can it be an Alba thing when I'm patient? And humble too! hehe. Huwag ka na kumontra dahil damay ka dito, Alba ka rin. :-) One time I'll write about Ian too. Surprise ko siya.

The webflying doves flew to the US ("Paging Alan"). Seriously, tinanggal ko muna kasi I would need to host my own images for it to fly again. When I have time, I'll try to have one like that again.

Jen said...

I miss my ice candy days ... when we were still innocent and young :-)

Beng said...

We can still eat ice candies. And we are still innocent and young. :-)

Nechie said...

It is worth the wait. How true... let it indeed be true...

I'm not talking just about ice candy here. hehehe. ;)

Beng said...

Hi Nechie. I think I'll be waiting for a thousand ice candies to freeze before my waiting for the "other thing" will cease. :0 But yes, I agree. It will be worth the wait. It must be.