Thursday, August 11, 2005

Sweet dreams are made of these

Like a top girl scout anxiously anticipating her first camp, I was prepared. I knew I was going to crave for chocolates so I entered the cinema with two Kitkats in my bag (I didn’t eat both though. I gave the other one to my officemates). But the explosion of sweetness in my mouth was no match for the burst of delights popping right before my eyes.



Chocolate waterfalls. Candy foliage. A chocolate factory transformed into a whole universe where a glove-wearing eccentric man with perfect teeth (not necessarily perfect smile) is king. Sweet dreams are made of these. And this dream flashed before my eyes—uninterrupted, and in full-color too! It was an eye candy, literally and metaphorically speaking. Oompa Loompa danced, Willy Wonka strutted, and Charlie melted my heart with his cute smile and innocent soul.

Oh what fun to be a kid again! I did not have to hop into a time machine to go back to my carefree days of childhood. I simply suspended my rational, logical judgment for two hours, and imagined myself as a young child again. My eyes got misty when Charlie opened the first two Willy Wonka bars and didn’t find the golden ticket. My heart skipped a beat when Willy Wonka ushered the children into rooms painted with the colorful strokes of imagination.


It was an excellent tale by Roald Dahl, masterfully brought to life by Tim Burton. While the images of their creation are still replaying in my mind, thoughts about life and wishes for us all are providing the backdrop.

"May the worries of adulthood not cloud our sight. May we not trade our bright reds for the drab grays. May we never lose the sense of wonder of discovering the new. Because even when we’re wrinkled and eighty, in our hearts we can be forever eight."

8 comments:

Bong said...

being a long-time Roald Dahl fan myself (i've collected a few of his works -mostly his children's books), i was curious as to how tim burton would interpret the story (in my mind is the 70's version that had gene wilder as willy wonka), and he did not disappoint. the neurotic willy wonka, the groovy 70's inspired oompa loompa production numbers - all were eye candy, and more. all this to say, i loved the movie.

Beng said...

I have a few Roald Dahl works too, mostly his short stories. As for Johnny Depp, I am now officially his fan. Yes, the movie was great (an understatement). In fact, I'm considering watching it again. This time, just to enjoy the sight.

Jen said...

You were right Beng! I enjoyer the movie! I hope that there will always remain in us the childhood perspective in life. Having innocence and the sense of wonder for everything we see and experience! Let us grow mature yet retain a measure of our childhood hearts!

Beng said...

I'm glad to know you liked it too. :-) Although some of the songs I didn't particularly like. But overall, thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

i don't know why i could not appreciate some books/movies like Charlie, Lord of the Rings, even star Wars. When i saw one of the characters of the movie, i give a judgement right away that I don't want that and that's not a good movie for me. There's a little wrong in me because i did not even attempt to watch it and later change mind that it was a good one.

Hindi ko siya type pero ewan bakit madaming gusto sa movie na ayaw ko...

just sharing a sentiment.(",)

Olive Joy said...

since it's been so highly recommended...i'll go watch it this week :)

Beng said...

Hi Karina, You can change your mind, you know. Hey, but you like chocolates too! Maybe the thought of seeing chocolate waterfalls will make you consider watching it. :-) Anyway, thanks for sharing your sentiment. Maybe you can blog about what kind of movies you like to watch.

Beng said...

Hi Olive, tell me what you think, OK? Roald Dahl spins wonderful tales with unexpected twists. If you see any of his books/stories, read it. I promise you, you'll enjoy it. :-)