Friday, August 19, 2005

Three Whens

"When do you stop loving someone?*"

I was asked this question several weeks ago by one of my closest friends. I didn’t have an answer for her then, in that split-second instant she cornered me, but I’ve been letting it simmer in my mind ever since. I think better when I write so here’s me thinking about it:

When do you stop loving someone?*
Let me answer with three whens. When it will cost you more pain to continue loving him. When using your dwindling supply of energy into keeping him is not just draining strength but the life out of you. When nights of you crying are outnumbering the days of you smiling.

Selfishness? Not really. Self-preservation? Probably.

But while you’re in this stage of indecision and uncertainty, know that just like all other heartaches, this too shall pass. All heartaches do. And as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, God will wipe away your sorrow.

So trust God and let the tears flow.

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted;he rescues those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 NLT

- - - - - - -
*Not in the context of marriage

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Beng, good thoughts. It's been a long time since I visited and I miss reading your shades of grace. God bless!

Beng said...

Hi Ben! Oo nga eh, need to catch up with you soon! Hope you're doing OK. God bless you too.

Olive Joy said...

hahaha. I've been had!!! Naku, quiz na naman...sige, I'll do this today on my free time. :)

tanks!