Sunday, September 18, 2005

Weak Week

If somebody offered me a pitcher of blenderized vegetables, with the promise of cure for my weeklong malaise, I would have gulped it down before I could finish this sentence. Now, if you knew of my notorious non-love for vegetables, you’d understand that I have turned desperate (But to my defense, I am not averse to everything leafy, green-yellow-and-other-colors vegetables. There are several I eat and actually enjoy. Potatoes, in French-fries, for instance. Yeah, right!) But no such offer came so I am left on my own to find a way to get out of my lingering weakness, colds, and fever.

I’ve voluntarily subjected myself to self-exile in my room this weekend. Except for the thirty minutes I had to get out today to buy myself medicines and food, I’ve stayed in my tiny room and been on my lone company. Partly because I don’t want to spread the virus, in case this is really a viral disease. Mainly because I also needed catch up on the much-needed sleep I’ve deprived myself. (I’ve actually been sleeping before midnight the past couple of days, another sign, if you will, of desperation. I’m also notorious for sleeping so late—or should that be so early in the morning?)


Times of weakness forces taking-my-body-for-granted-me to rethink my lifestyle and habits. Yes, during my period of illumination, that is, while rubbing my temples to provide momentary relief of my terrible headache, I’ve decided to do the following:

1. Avoid strenuous activities for the next seven days. (But how will I ever get
better with my badminton strokes? That can wait.)
2. Get enough sleep and forget being nocturnal. At least, until I get better.
3. Religiously take my vitamins (Centrum, Vitamin C, and Ferrous Sulfate. Pretty
soon I’ll have enough drugs on my body to set up a drugstore!)
4. Try to train my palate to befriend more vegetables (I can’t believe I’m writing this. I think I’m suffering from temporary insanity. Repeat the mantra: Vegetables
are good for me. Vegetables are good for me
. Another line deserves to
be repeated: So are chocolates. So are chocolates.)

I’ll be facing another week. Hopefully, this will be unlike the last weak-week. Maybe if I take my medicines with a glass of discipline, while shooting up a fervent prayer to our Divine Physician, I’d finally get healed.

I can’t wait to see better (and stronger me) days ahead.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trial comment

Anonymous said...

awww... sorry to hear about ur weak week, beng. u should rest more. hoping to finish ur header soon. it's kinda fun doing it :)hey, let's put it up when u're well (consider it an incentive for you to get well soon :)

why do i have the feeling u're up for a visit by the Gulay Gang. ;) Haha!

Anonymous said...

hi! how about more fruits instead of vegetables? i think that would be better. ",) pagaling po kayo agad...

Anonymous said...

Aleks, I've been miraculously healed! Really! So could I have my banner now? :-)

The Gulay Gang can't visit me yet as they are still veggie-sitting Joey.
Then they'd visit you. Then me. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Karina,
More fruits? Hmm, may mangga pa ba? Thanks for the advice. I'll try eating citrus fruits
just to load up on Vitamin C. You, on the other hand, be well. Stay well. :-) Hard to get sick.

Anonymous said...

"oh my gulay! finish your vegetables, L! (D to your inaanak). sabi ni mommy, di ka aalis sa table unless you finish your food (i told that once to D and made sure he understands why)." if only my eldest son and I were your kuya and mom for a day, you'd be forced to eat your gulay and everything in it. hehehe. blame it on your book "joey and the gulay gang",D eats everything edible mom puts on his plate, even ampalaya (he says sayang daw, kahit mapait). how about your gulay steamed or fried in olive oil, dipped in hershey's chocolate syrup with tiny Kisses chocolates? you'll enjoy eating gulay, and eat your chocolates, too (while i send the bill to Hershey's for this idea). take care, beng. i'm sure you're enjoying your time with The Divine Healer. :-) looking forward to seeing your name in palanca programme, though i know that your primary goal is to glorify God through your works, than to win the contest. Well, God is full of surprises. Right?

Anonymous said...

just remember, chocolates come from the cocoa PLANT -- so vegetable yon :-) yung sugar comes from the sugar cane PLANT (another vegetable). The milk comes from cows (protein) which eats grass (ano pa ba, e di vegetable din)...hehehe Get well soon!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina, haha. I should stay in your house for a week. I'll take it as a "reformation" camp. But hey, I've been a good girl. Yesterday my lunch was patola only, with very little giniling on it. Chocolate-dipped vegetables? Well, if we can do it to strawberries, why not nga vegetables? Hmmm, pwede kaya yun sa okra? (BTW, I eat ampalaya!)
Yes, my primary goal is to glorify God through my works. I'm just thinking I'll have a greater chance to be heard (by those who need to hear God's message the most) if I earn the right to it. I'm still thinking and praying about the Palanca, though. If ever, oh what a surprise from God it will be!

Anonymous said...

JC, at last, nagparamdam ka na sa pagbisita!
Haha, you're right(good analogy). Molecularly (if there's such a term)speaking, chocolates are vegetables! If that's the case, I'd be happy to eat "vegetables" everyday. :-)
Thanks! I'm getting better. Let's just see if I'll be well enough already for Thursday's bday celeb. Sana. :-)

Anonymous said...

(should be "...made sure he understood why"- sorry,i was typing, thinking, eating, watching news at the same time. :-) yeah, you're welcome to our reformation camp. maraming gulay sa bulacan. may kakampi ka pa dun, the youngest. he eats only potatoes, and other vegetables that look like potatoes. am glad that you're getting better. hope to see you soon; it's been a long time since the last. :-)

Anonymous said...

Gina, I haven't seen your youngest. Only in pictures. Kelan kaya?:-)
Yes, haven't seen you in a while. If you can find time tomorrow (Thurs), do drop by McDo Jupiter for funtime. Would love to see you there.

Anonymous said...

Jen ... did i just read that? befriend more vegetables... but then there's the word "try." I should have invoked this when we were eating earlier. :- ) gkad to know you are better na...

Beng said...

Thanks Jen. I've befriended some already. I just don't want to be too familiar with them lest they expect that we are already "best friends." Haha. Kidding aside, I'm still getting better. And learning.